Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad x weedwiper

Options
  • 21-06-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,
    I am looking to buy a weepwiper/weedlicker and was thinking of getting a new homemade type one which would be galvanized and cost approx €1200-1600 but i know of a second hand Quad X Xterminator for sale for €900 in good condition.It seems a good price as it looks in good condition and i think they cost €3300 new.
    I was wondering if anybody else has one?
    If they are good wipers?
    Is rusting a problem?
    Do the 2 rollers go in opposite direction as owner thinks they dont?
    Are they hard to pull as they are bigger than homemade ones?
    Advice in general on quad x wipers and if they are better than homemade ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

My knowledge of weedlickers isn't massive but I have seen them in operation as a family member had one on loan for a while. He had a single roller galvanized unit with the tank on top.

Having driven the quad while the licker was attached I can say that you would definitely feel the extra weight behind it. I'm not sure that I'd like to put anything heavier on it for too long or it could do damage to the suspension.

Just my two cents though. Definitely a great job if used correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It sometimes feels like lads are putting stuff behind quads just to justify having the quad.

My BIL got a licker for behind the quad and after helping him set it up last year I'd say it's just a torture compared to having it behind the tractor. The tractor is so much more comfortable and affords a better view of what's going on.

Another lad I was talking to was thinking of getting one of the toppers. He reckons it would be easier ran than the tractor. But your running the quad and the engine on the topper. And is wonder how would it manage a heavy tussock of rushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

_Brian wrote: »
    It sometimes feels like lads are putting stuff behind quads just to justify having the quad.

My BIL got a licker for behind the quad and after helping him set it up last year I'd say it's just a torture compared to having it behind the tractor. The tractor is so much more comfortable and affords a better view of what's going on.

Another lad I was talking to was thinking of getting one of the toppers. He reckons it would be easier ran than the tractor. But your running the quad and the engine on the topper. And is wonder how would it manage a heavy tussock of rushes.
    Valid points.
    fIL used licker behind tractor for years, wouldn't venture near wet spots, last year used quad & din entire of fields.
    Quads are ahead if fragmented farms (put in trailer & go), & wetter / hilly ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

_Brian wrote: »

I'd take the quad licking any day before the tractor to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

I would also agree with some of the posts above, a quad seems to be a bit of a money pit for some people that have more cash than brains. I can think of a few cases where there are replicas of the tractor attachments for the quad in the yard.

I'm by no means a begrudger but I know of one area in particular where a quad and the number of attachments is a bit of a competition among the neighbours. They're continually trying to "one up" each other with who can get the best toys for want of a better word.

• Advertisement
Advertisement