Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact lenses while in labour?

Options
  • 21-06-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I have poor sight but always wear contacts, never glasses. I keep forgetting to ask my doctor if it's ok to keep them in during labour? I feel very out-of-control if I'm not wearing them, and the labour ward is probably the last place you want to feel panicky so I'd love to know if anyone has come across this before. I do have glasses but I never feel 'me' when I wear them and want to try to feel as normal as possible for as long as possible. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

fiona-f wrote: »
    I have poor sight but always wear contacts, never glasses. I keep forgetting to ask my doctor if it's ok to keep them in during labour? I feel very out-of-control if I'm not wearing them, and the labour ward is probably the last place you want to feel panicky so I'd love to know if anyone has come across this before. I do have glasses but I never feel 'me' when I wear them and want to try to feel as normal as possible for as long as possible. Thanks.

Seriously you won't care about wearing your glasses in labour!!! I wouldn't wear lenses, my labour was 22 hours and I reckon my eyes would of felt dry and uncomfortable if I wore lenses. I had my baby in January and the hospital was very hot so I reckon it is very stuffy this time of the year! My eyesight was dreadful (before I had laser eye surgery 7 years ago) so I hear you on feeling out of control!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I'm thinking I will wear my lens, but I have the day & night continuous wear lens that you can sleep in for up to 30 days. I might just bring drops and glasses just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm thinking I will wear my lens, but I have the day & night continuous wear lens that you can sleep in for up to 30 days. I might just bring drops and glasses just in case.

They never had those when I wore lenses, just monthly or daily ones, they sound great!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

I wore both my glasses and contacts during labour. I wore my contacts until I was exhausted and needed a sleep and then I just kept glasses on until birth. There were no issues medically and I'm sure of you wanted to reinsert or change your lenses there would be no problems.
    Definitely bring drops and glasses though, just in case. The air in hospitals can be dry like others have said.

It's your labour, do whatever makes you feel comfortable! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I had my lenses in during labour, I always wear them, I certainly don't remember them bothering me at all! Same as you I have very bad vision, I would definitely have had to have either glasses or contacts in, and glasses would have annoyed me so much - it's a hot sweaty environment so glasses would have been slipping off my nose and steaming up and generally annoying me, I can imagine the gas and air mask would have been knocking off them too.

Definitely have contacts case, solution, glasses, spare lenses etc with you, in your labour bag, in case you have a long labour. But I would absolutely recommend lenses over glasses, I have terrible eyesight and it would have been scary not being able to see who was coming in and out of the room all the time.

One thing you might want to check is if they're OK to keep in if you end up having a C-section? I've no idea and never thought to ask!

• Advertisement

^^Not ok for c-section, good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Bosley1421 wrote: »
    ^^Not ok for c-section, good point!

Ah but even if they're not, they take about two seconds to take out if you're used to wearing them! So I wouldn't have that as a reason not to wear them in labour. Just a good thing to know in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've had two by c section and wore lenses both times.

Honestly, I keep.hearing how you can't wear nail polish or get a pedicure or.wear your contacts when in labour or having a section. I told the anesthetist I needed contact lenses to see and my nail beds were clearly visible under the French polish and it was fine. There's no reason to tell women they can't do something which is perfectly safe.

lazygal wrote: »
    I've had two by c section and wore lenses both times.

Honestly, I keep.hearing how you can't wear nail polish or get a pedicure or.wear your contacts when in labour or having a section. I told the anesthetist I needed contact lenses to see and my nail beds were clearly visible under the French polish and it was fine. There's no reason to tell women they can't do something which is perfectly safe.

I think op meant emergency c section, don't you have to take them out for general anaesthetic as it's similar to going asleep and bad for the eyes?
    I do agree with your point though, as long as it's safe you shouldn't have to do something because of an inexplicable 'rule' in labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You don't always undergo a general anesthetic for an emergency section either.It's rare to have a GA for a section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I wore daily disposables during labour, I felt more comfortable with them than without, I was worried
    that I wouldn't be allowed wear them because I remember reading somewhere that in case of an emergency it would
    be better if lenses weren't worn, thankfully all was well even though I had a long labour they remained comfortable throughout I couldn't sleep anyway so that wasn't an issue. I remember worrying about this issue prior to giving birth but
    do what you feel comfortable with yourself. Good luck.

Advertisement