Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maternity dress for July wedding?

Options
  • 21-06-2014 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a wedding in 4 weeks time. Will be nearly 7months along. Any shop recommendations/ good websites? have looked at one or two but they seem more casual than wedding-y. I'd like something a bit dressy but not wanting to spend a bomb as may never wear it again!

Big thanks.

Also, seeking cropped maternity leggings. Can't seem to find anywhere for some strange reason, especially since it's summer! Found black ones on Mothercare.ie but can't find white/ navy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Might be worth keeping an eye on Adverts?

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/clothes-shoes-accessories/womenswear/dresses/398/q_Maternity/

A lot of the dresses there would only have been worn once or twice, and prices are often up for negotation.

E.g.
    http://www.adverts.ie/midi/maternity-dress/5742906
    http://www.adverts.ie/midi/maternity-special-occasion-dress/5679794

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

If you're in Dublin and open to renting I've heard some good stories about stylemama.ie. Think they sell dresses as well but might be abut expensive for buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes, when I once had to go to a wedding at 39 weeks!! I wore a dress that had been borrowed - it was a nice fresh navy-and-white look with a wide cool hat - it had travelled all around a circle of friends, when any of us had to do a wedding while pregnant. I passed it on again afterwards, too (had it cleaned between times of course)
    So ask around among sisters and female friends who have had kids, anyone got a nice loose-fitting dress suitable for a wedding? Try facebook?
    It really isn't worth spending good money on such a once-off garment, unless you are sure you know people you can pass it on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Would a maxi be too casual? I went to a wedding before when 6-7 mths and got a very simple black maxi dress in new look (from their mat range) think it was about 25 euro. Having said that I wasn't overly bothered about the formality of the occasion tho :) I dressed it up with accessories / wrap etc.

Regarding leggings, dunnes have cropped ones and I've found that their large ones go over my bump - I'd normally wear a medium. Got 2 pairs last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would agree with Katemarch, it's really not worth spending a lot of money on one when chances are you'll only wear it once. I had my sister in laws wedding when I was almost 40 weeks and bought a lovely Seraphine dress second hand on eBay. Would have been about €80 new and I got it for €20 including postage. The amount of compliments I got about it were unreal and most importantly it was really comfortable. This is the dress

http://www.seraphine.com/us/emerald-sleeveless-maxi-knot-dress.html

Would definitely be worth asking around friends and family too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

https://m.facebook.com/expectingelegance?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&_rdr

I rented a dress from this lady a while back. Great service and selection if dresses. Definitely worth a visit if you can get to Swords.

I got cropped maternity leggings in H&M. Saw them in the swords and Stephens green branches at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I got one on asos. It was 30€ so not a big deal! I was 36 weeks at the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

thanks all . i started with friends and family . no luck but yest one pal said she'd send me one so will see how that is.

Not in Dublin so the renting options are out .

Thnx re leggings options . I never thought of dunnes cos they dont have mat gear but will try the large regular ones .

thanks all . i started with friends and family . no luck but yest one pal said she'd send me one so will see how that is.

Not in Dublin so the renting options are out .

Thnx re leggings options . I never thought of dunnes cos they dont have mat gear but will try the large regular ones .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What size ? I have a gorgeous long navy one .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

I second the maxi idea! I live in them now, went to a wedding there a few weeks ago when I was about 30 weeks and I just dressed up my black one with gold jewellery and I was so comfy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I was about to suggest Asos for the leggings, but just looked at the website and they're out of action at the moment because of a fire, said they'd be back to normal in the next couple of days though. Have you tried H&M and New Look?

I was about to suggest Asos for the leggings, but just looked at the website and they're out of action at the moment because of a fire, said they'd be back to normal in the next couple of days though. Have you tried H&M and New Look?

tried new look. only full length . haven't tried h&m online yet.

Thanks Moonbeam . Im 10-12.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

same size as me.
    I have a long navy mamalicious flowy v-neck dress if you are interested I can send pictures.
    I am about to do a clearance of maternity clothes because I am never going ot need them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I got a lovely navy and white stripped dress in next - it's carried me through several events this pregnancy - from communions, confirmations, weddings and hens! Can be dressed up or down so was ideal.
    At the time I was looking it was still in the storeroom as it was new stock but the girl on-the floor didn't hesitate to go up and get it down for me so my advice is even if you don't see one in the shop definitely ask. You'd never know what they have in store

Moonbeam wrote: »
    same size as me.
    I have a long navy mamalicious flowy v-neck dress if you are interested I can send pictures.
    I am about to do a clearance of maternity clothes because I am never going ot need them again.

Why not? \Sure, send on a pic. Thanks a mill.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    https://m.facebook.com/expectingelegance?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&_rdr

I got cropped maternity leggings in H&M. Saw them in the swords and Stephens green branches at least.

Doesn't seem that you can order on-line? I found the website but no option to purchase or am i missing something? No H&M near me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

73trix wrote: »
    Doesn't seem that you can order on-line? I found the website but no option to purchase or am i missing something? No H&M near me. :(

It's a dress hire service, that's the Facebook page. So no online shop. If you're not in the Dublin area it wouldn't be much good to you!

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    It's a dress hire service, that's the Facebook page. So no online shop. If you're not in the Dublin area it wouldn't be much good to you!

Ha, ha. I meant in relation to the H&M not the renting option! bad misquote! :o

Advertisement