Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scammed 410 euro from adverts.ie after trying buy phone

• 20-06-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi about a month ago I paid 410 euro bank transfer to someone selling a 5s on adverts. He kept coming up with excuses every day on how he missed the post and so on. I have his name, bank details and address. Will the bank/gardai be any help to me or will I ever see this money again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hi about a month ago I paid 410 euro bank transfer to someone selling a 5s on adverts. He kept coming up with excuses every day on how he missed the post and so on. I have his name, bank details and address. Will the bank/gardai be any help to me or will I ever see this money again?

Instead of posting here you should be round to the Gardai, getting on to the bank and Adverts.ie . Does the seller still have any Ads running on Adverts.ie? What sort of feedback did they have? I don't know whether you have any chance of getting your money back but you must have been crazy to part with €400+ without having the goods in your hand.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

File a complaint with the Gardai. Please PM me a link to the seller/ad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Wasting your time..same happened me and was told its tough luck..adverts couldnt give a flying ¥¥¥¥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

same thing happened to my wife, paid by bank draft all the guards did was ring the person and tell him to send my wife the phone, to which he said he would, obviously he didnt, gaurd said he sounded like a traveller, and nothing he could do
    lesson learned, only use paypal, if the seller doesnt agree move on to another seller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    How much feedback did they have. I personally wouldn't hand over that much cash to someone unless they had plus 20 positive and no negs..
    20 positive feedback means nothing on adverts, they could have got 20 free items from people or given away 20 things, always use paypal for a high amount and you have paypal buyer protection
    or meet in person for a cash deal but bring a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/62536/man-jailed-for-donedeal-fraud
    A man who placed adverts on a website offering goods for sale, which he did not have and for which he received money, was jailed by Judge Mary Devins this week as he failed to have full compensation in court.

At a previous court sitting it was outlined by Garda Nicola Golden that on July 14 2012, gardaí received a complaint by Patrick Kiely from Claremorris that he saw an advert on donedeal.ie for an iPhone for sale for €300. The seller ‘Mick’ was contacted by phone and Mr Kiely agreed to lodge money into Mick’s AIB account on Friday July 13. Mick was to send the man a text when the money was received, with a postage tracking number, but this was never texted and Mr Kiely then contacted gardaí.

Garda Golden made enquiries and discovered that another man in Dublin had also paid money into the same account after seeing an advert on the same website for an iPad. The details of this account belonged to Michael Lawrence, 2 Kilkenny Close, Moneen, Castlebar. Lawrence admitted to gardaí that he placed adverts for items he did not have for sale.

Altogether, eight injured parties came forward. A total of €1,835 had been scammed from these people.

The 20-year-old man was co-operative and he had no previous convictions.

Solicitor James Ward said that he did not think Lawrence concocted the idea. Mr Ward said that the “unpleasant crime” was used to pay towards Lawrence’s wedding which took place in January.

Judge Mary Devins adjourned the case for the full amount to be paid to all people defrauded. However at the adjourned court sitting he only managed to come up with €200. At Wednesday’s court he only had another €100 in court and the judge gave him to 1pm that day to have the full amount in court or he would be jailed. Lawrence was not in court at 1pm and the judge jailed him for defrauding innocent people.

He was convicted and sentenced to a total of six months in prison, with the last month to be suspended on the condition that the full amount of compensation be paid in full.

Heres another article.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/49936/man-jailed-for-donedeal-fraud-and-possession-of-house-breaking-implements

must depend on what guard you get i guess, if the person did not pay the fine and went to prison then the victims did not get any money back, so in effect a waste of time really and we have to then pay for the thieving scum to be fed 3 meals a day and watch tv and get schooled in better frauds from the professionals
    paypal has to be the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

im sorry but what age are you.. people of ireland are really lacking common sense..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

must depend on what guard you get i guess, if the person did not pay the fine and went to prison then the victims did not get any money back, so in effect a waste of time really and we have to then pay for the thieving scum to be fed 3 meals a day and watch tv and get schooled in better frauds from the professionals
    paypal has to be the way forward
    In this case the person was jailed for non payment of a court ordered sum so afaik even if he does the full 6 months he should still owe the money when released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

deckycoop wrote: »
    im sorry but what age are you.. people of ireland are really lacking common sense..

How does that comment help in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

It doesn't help at all. P*ss off decky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

OP send the seller the above links or tell him about these links and then give him 48hrs to refund your money or you will go to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

I'd call around to his address and ask him nicely for the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

B_Rabbit wrote: »

Ya never know what you might find :)

it will help them hopefully realise to be more careful.. think things true in there head before giving away 400 euro and to factor in a bit of common sense..now if the poster is only a young person, there loss of money will be enough for a kick in the teeth for them.. but if they re of a age where common sense is expected with maturity then my point of people lacking common sense is justified.

once bitten, twice shy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Go immediately to the Garda and to a solicitor. Adverts will not help you.
    Look up Facebook buy and sell groups . Everyones buying and selling on Facebook these days anyway as it is free and you can see your sellers profile photo and keep it for your records for when you meet. Adverts has shot itself in the foot with it's greedy changes taking your money but not making you any safer and is dead. Adverts will do nothing , they take their money and give you nothing back in return.

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Wasting your time..same happened me and was told its tough luck..adverts couldnt give a flying ¥¥¥¥
    ;

A lack of common sense... we as a people are a naive nation.. this thread is only after opening and there is 3 people all saying the same thing.. i can bet it wont happen to these people again because they were naive in the first place..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

To be fair, the seller has scammed the man not adverts.
    Plus the man handed over money without the item in his hand is the crux of the problem.

Have item in hand, or use pay pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    Dont go alone!:cool:

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    To be fair, the seller has scammed the man not adverts.

Nobody said adverts scammed yer man. Adverts can legally charge what it wants while not giving a flying about him. Adverts is becoming insignificant anyway because people are moving to Facebook groups which are free.

As one user already said ALWAYS USE PAYPAL.

You will save yourself the time, energy and financial problems associated with such issues.

If you do not receive the goods or the goods are not as described just open a case with them and if there is no response from the seller or the seller does not hold up their end of the deal Paypal will reverse the charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I'd like to say another thing. Use paypal but do not pay by gift.

I too was scammed and I was asked to sent the payment as a "gift" and because of this I hadn't a leg to stand on. A very painful lesson to learn. I was scammed out of €150.

The gardai were useless telling me it was only €150. Like I should let them away with it.

Paypal wouldn't reverse the charges as it was a "gift". And my credit card company wouldn't do a charge back either as I authorised this "gift".

I was screwed.

Came across a website were I was able send a fake email for about €3 from the scammer to me admitting to scamming me. I was able to send it off to the credit card company and they got the ball rolling then with the charge back. What he did was way worse!

Anyway always use paypal and use the option to pay for goods and services. That way you get your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nobody said adverts scammed yer man. Adverts can legally charge what it wants while not giving a flying about him. Adverts is becoming insignificant anyway because people are moving to Facebook groups which are free.

You're kidding right? You want to buy/sell something so you move to Facebook...
    I'm not a fan of Adverts.ie for various reasons - mainly the number of tyre kickers and the small footfall (is the right description?) but the OP's problem is caused by naivety and nothing else.

You're kidding right? You want to buy/sell something so you move to Facebook...
    I'm not a fan of Adverts.ie for various reasons - mainly the number of tyre kickers and the small footfall (is the right description?) but the OP's problem is caused by naivety and nothing else.

Damn right you move to Facebook. It is free, you can private message people and they will have their profile photo up which you can save for your security. I know many people who are very happy with and got fantastic deals from FB.

By the way , a few weeks ago I mentioned Facebook casually on an adverts thread once and it got deleted and the thread closed without any communication, without telling me they had a problem with my remark so they shouldn't be surprised if I introduce it as the best solution to a problem again. So good in fact they fear it and have to censor it. Facebook is a lot more secure if you have the photo ID of the seller. Rep on adverts can be easily faked or built up over a short time with a little bit of patience by a scammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I sell some stuff occasionally on adverts too. But I don't really like paypal as a payment. Once I was burnt agreed to paypal payment, he sent me the agreed amount then the big surprise came: he pushed the charges onto me as well, got less money and never agreed to myself paying the charges involved. And the other big question for me: one pays paypal, gets the package and being a nice one escalates a claim to get their money back. If all success I'll be left no money, no item either.

Damn right you move to Facebook. It is free, you can private message people and they will have their profile photo up which you can save for your security. I know many people who are very happy with and got fantastic deals from FB.

By the way , a few weeks ago I mentioned Facebook casually on an adverts thread once and it got deleted and the thread closed without any communication, without telling me they had a problem with my remark so they shouldn't be surprised if I introduce it as the best solution to a problem again. So good in fact they fear it and have to censor it. Facebook is a lot more secure if you have the photo ID of the seller. Rep on adverts can be easily faked or built up over a short time with a little bit of patience by a scammer.

Like Beersteakbirds said its free and no fee's.
    You can converse privately and still go through Paypal!

I think Adverts in many ways is a good selling platform but for me the introduction of seller fee's has spoilt it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

But, but, but....

Fb could be a fake profile. A profile "pic" doesn't really help you in the long run.

Adverts has it's pros and cons. Fb has it's pros and cons.

Common sense folks!
    Whatever you are using, dont pay until you have item in hand, or else use pay pal.

Ps. For those denouncing adverts for not caring/ doing nothing. Believeme, fb will do nothing as well.
    So don't get scammed! Usecommon sense!

amdublin wrote: »
    But, but, but....

Fb could be a fake profile. A profile "pic" doesn't really help you in the long run.

Adverts has it's pros and cons. Fb has it's pros and cons.

Common sense folks!
    Whatever you are using, dont pay until you have item in hand, or else use pay pal.

Ps. For those denouncing adverts for not caring/ doing nothing. Believeme, fb will do nothing as well.
    So don't get scammed! Usecommon sense!

To be fair your right about FB, try resolving an issue through them!!

The moral is Use Paypal or use cash!

• Advertisement

Ps. I cannot bear those fb selling groups; all txt spk and bad spelling. Full of "full tym mamy to my angles" type of people.

Advertisement