Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering Contacts

Options
  • 20-06-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm more than likely going to get a new Lumia in the next week or two, quite possibly a 630 or even a higher spec if O2 drop their prices again.

However the problem is, is transferring all my contacts. Before I got a smart phone I would just transfer from my old phone to sim card, and sim card to new phone. Because of what ever the sim card was set up, it couldn't always take the full name of a contact, and people with more than one number would appear as two entries on the new phone.

Now I know phone shops say they will transfer contacts for you, but due to the amount of information held on the smartphones, I fear similar as if I was doing as above, with emails/addresses being lost, and linked contacts being split.

So basically, can contacts be uploaded to Zune (cant find the feature my self), and/or is there a way from transferring the contacts backed up on 'My Windows Phone' online, to the new phone, and will upgrading from a 7.8 phone to a 8.0/1 effect this transfer or will Zune/My Windows Phone have difficulty recognising my new phone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

If your contacts are synchronized with your Outlook account online, then just signing in on the new phone when you're setting it up, will download your contacts to your new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Czarcasm wrote: »
    If your contacts are synchronized with your Outlook account online, then just signing in on the new phone when you're setting it up, will download your contacts to your new phone.

That simple? Cool. Along with emails/addresses/FB/twitter etc etc?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Pretty much, some of your linked contacts will need to rejoined.

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Well any contact information you have will be synchronized, including email, FB, Twitter, Skype, Gmail...

You can also link contact details for contacts that have different numbers stored in different accounts, so for example you could have a contacts work details in your Outlook account, and their personal details in your Gmail account, and they'll appear as two separate contacts, but you can link their separate entries to make one single entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

If you have an Outlook or Gmail account, it's a lot easier to manage (cleanup, delete, remove duplicates, etc) the contacts from there as opposed to doing it on your phone.

If you get a new phone, it's worth spending the 30 minutes cleaning up your contacts - then hopefully you'll never have to do it again :)

• Advertisement

So being playing about with this. Updated a good few of my contacts on my outlook account on my laptop. Linked several contacts. Etc Etc.

So how do I now synchronize this to my phone. Currently trying to do this on my Lumia 800 to see if the current contacts update to the changes I made on online, but no luck so far. Nearest I can find to Outlook on the phone is hotmail. Do I need a app, or just go to outlook mobile?

So being playing about with this. Updated a good few of my contacts on my outlook account on my laptop. Linked several contacts. Etc Etc.

So how do I now synchronize this to my phone. Currently trying to do this on my Lumia 800 to see if the current contacts update to the changes I made on online, but no luck so far. Nearest I can find to Outlook on the phone is hotmail. Do I need a app, or just go to outlook mobile?

Your contacts should sync over the air. Have you set up a Microsoft account on the phone? I know that when I was setting up my old Nokia N8 phone and it asked for a Hotmail address, I was able to put in my Outlook.com address, and my contacts were all downloaded.

One thing I did find though that was quite annoying (although advantageous in another way), was that when my son changed some of his profile details on Skype, it automatically changed his details on my phone, and I couldn't for the life of me change his details because they were dependent on him changing them back (he had our home phone landline number in as his mobile number, and this over-rides the Outlook details, and there's no way to set one number as the default number for a contact).

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Your contacts should sync over the air. Have you set up a Microsoft account on the phone? I know that when I was setting up my old Nokia N8 phone and it asked for a Hotmail address, I was able to put in my Outlook.com address, and my contacts were all downloaded.

One thing I did find though that was quite annoying (although advantageous in another way), was that when my son changed some of his profile details on Skype, it automatically changed his details on my phone, and I couldn't for the life of me change his details because they were dependent on him changing them back (he had our home phone landline number in as his mobile number, and this over-rides the Outlook details, and there's no way to set one number as the default number for a contact).

I think that was the problem. Had my hotmail set up on my phone, but not outlook. Syncing as I type.

Thanks.

Advertisement