Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I wear a white dress to a wedding???

Options
  • 20-06-2014 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Going to a wedding in July, just to the afters, as I don't really know the couple (lm my bf's plus guest)

Anyway I'v fallen in love with this dress and would love to wear it!!!

Can it be done?? I'v always heard you shouldn't but because I love it so much I'm thinking feck it, haven't come across a dress I have loved as much as this one.....

92391_white.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I think you already know the answer. Its just not the done thing, whether you know the couple that well or not. Its the wedding couples special day, there are loads of other colours to wear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Would they not have that dress in another colour

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I wouldn't anyway that's for sure. It's tradition that the bride is the only one wearing white.

It's just one night so it would be better to get the dress in a different colour or go for another dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Don't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Ur only going to the afters I think it's fine. Ur not friends with the bride so why should you really be bothered. Plus it seems like there is some purple in it so it's not completely white. See what your boyfriend thinks, if he is a good friend of the couple he might not want people talking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I would go with no. It doesn't matter who you know or full day guest or afters, it is not okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I would go with no. It doesn't matter who you know or full day guest or afters, it is not okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

No. There are more dresses in the world.

Just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Writergirl24

ooooh don't! I've been to a couple of weddings recently and a few of the guests wore white dresses similar to that one (which is gorgeous btw) but they simply looked out of place. Overheard grumblings from some other guests about the white wearing too.
    But really, it's only one day, and it's a very special day for the couple who are getting married, I think it's best if you choose another colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wouldn't do it if I were you. Some people may think it's okay but I can guarantee you there will be people there talking about you saying "the cheek of yer one turning up in a white guna!"
    There are a million other colours out there and that dress would look just as nice and elegant in black if it's in stock?
    You are the bfs guest so you don't want to be talked about for the wrong reasons...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

anna080 wrote: »
    Some people may think it's okay but I can guarantee you there will be people there talking about you saying "the cheek of yer one turning up in a white guna!"

OP - I wouldn't give 2 sh;ts about what people like that think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

OP - I wouldn't give 2 sh;ts about what people like that think

If you're that ballsy / selfish, that's fine...but why the need to make a point that you're allowed to wear white on someone else's big day? It just sounds a bit childish ...OP it's one day, wear a lovely blue dress or something, unless you are superhuman and nothing anyone says will affect you, because they will say stuff if you show up in white to someone's wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Definitely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I also don't think you should wear white.

For some reason in my head it seems even worse that you are a "plus one" guest who don't really know the couple and you may turn up in white, I cant say what feeling it gives me, almost like it is extremely disrespectful as a guest.

It is a really lovely dress though so you should still get it for other occasions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Same as what others have said, I wouldn't.

Not because I'd be worried about people talking but more that it looks a bit disrespectful or something to the bride when its a well known tradition that you don't wear white to someone else's wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Babooshka wrote: »
    If you're that ballsy / selfish, that's fine...but why the need to make a point that you're allowed to wear white on someone else's big day? It just sounds a bit childish ...OP it's one day, wear a lovely blue dress or something, unless you are superhuman and nothing anyone says will affect you, because they will say stuff if you show up in white to someone's wedding.

can i just say, i've no intention of wearing a dress anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

NO way.
    The fact that you dont know the bride does not matter - have a bit of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

The amount of times this gets posted... :rolleyes::pac:

Wimmins be cray cray.

Computer says No!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Writergirl24

smcgiff, white is in fashion!!! tis a valid question! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

ok.......lm defo not gonna wear it or white!! :pac:

I get yer points that it would look a bit cheeky if l did turn up on it and not really know the bride......

the search shall continue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Having been to a handful of weddings in the last 18 months, there's nearly always one girl who turns up wearing white.

Nobody is going to stop you at the door and tell you to get out, but most of the people there will immediately judge you, think you're a dick, and say nasty things about you when you're out of earshot. You could also potentially mildly upset the bride.

It's up to you to decided if you care about that. I'd be asking myself though, what's the point of wearing something that you think makes you look good, if it's actually making you look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 accountant101

Put yourself in Bride's position would you like if someone wore white to your wedding???

People will always think you are trying to outshine the bride!!

smcgiff, white is in fashion!!! tis a valid question! :-)

White is the new black. I get it, and white has been the fashion at weddings for a long long time.... for the bride.

ok.......lm defo not gonna wear it or white!! :pac:

I get yer points that it would look a bit cheeky if l did turn up on it and not really know the bride......

the search shall continue!

It is a lovely dress though, any other colours?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I had a look on the site, there doesn't seem to be :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

smcgiff wrote: »
    It is a lovely dress though, any other colours?

nope :( its fab in white....l'd love to get it but its more of an occassion wear than sat night out for me

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

Saw a picture of a bride and her new sister in law recently - we all said the sister in law must hate the bride as she wore a cream dress.

Was very hard for me to tell who was who (don't know them both) given the colours.

I think it's a definite NO!

nope :( its fab in white....l'd love to get it but its more of an occassion wear than sat night out for me

Could always wash it with a baby pink towel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Put yourself in Bride's position would you like if someone wore white to your wedding???

People will always think you are trying to outshine the bride!!

If I was a bride I wouldn't give a shite if someone wore white at my wedding. Even if someone turns up in a wedding-ish dress..who cares?!

Saying that I still wouldn't wear white at a wedding. Only because I know that most of the other women there would be gossiping about it, and some brides might not like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

Lia_lia wrote: »
    If I was a bride I wouldn't give a shite if someone wore white at my wedding. Even if someone turns up in a wedding-ish dress..who cares?!

Saying that I still wouldn't wear white at a wedding. Only because I know that most of the other women there would be gossiping about it, and some brides might not like it.

This. Someone wore a white dress to my wedding with black accessories. I didn't mind and thought she looked great. It wasn't "bridal" at all. However, lots of people commented on it so I'd never wear white myself to a wedding.

Advertisement