Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill Ivy

Options
  • 19-06-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi, I have a problem with ivy on rented ground. It's on the ground and up the walls of an old farmyard. There is no concrete on the ground, only soil and wondering how to get rid of it. I heard ROUND UP BIACTIVE will kill it. Is this true? All help appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Grazon is supposed to be good for ivy. Its very expensive but you use very little 60ml to 10L knapsack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You'll need to break the waxy surface of the leaf. Some people drill a hole in the timber base of the ivy and inject roundup directly into the stem. See google / youtube.
    Cutting it at the base and pulling it off the wall works well. It will grow back eventually but it quick and effective way to get rid of it without chemicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

You might have to give it a few applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

RKQ wrote: »
    You'll need to break the waxy surface of the leaf. Some people drill a hole in the timber base of the ivy and inject roundup directly into the stem. See google / youtube.
    Cutting it at the base and pulling it off the wall works well. It will grow back eventually but it quick and effective way to get rid of it without chemicals.

I am proposing to have a go at some with a flame thrower... Ivy burns extremely well so i think i will have the hose handy too...

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

RKQ wrote: »

i did this last year and it worked a dream on the big stuff.
    2x the normal mixture or sprays for ivy if spraying should do the trick on smaller

• Advertisement
Advertisement