Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1950s Rockabilly style dresses

Options
  • 19-06-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello everyone!
    My lovely friend is getting married at the end of this year and is looking for 1950s style short dresses for her bridesmaids (I'm one!). The bride doesn't live in Ireland but all three of us bridesmaids do. She is coming home to go dress shopping with us very soon in Dublin and I'd love to have some ideas of shops where we could go try on some suitable dresses.. She has never lived in Dublin so is totally clueless as to where we could go and I'm not much better!!

At the moment we have an appointment in Dirty Fabulous but the vintage style dress that they do is really really expensive (€340 each!!) and we are looking for something much less pricey! She may decide to buy online but would love at least to try on some real dresses first to make sure they work on all of us! Any ideas please?? We could drive outside Dublin too if there was a somewhere relatively close by.. we only have one day- a saturday!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

There's a shop in the George's Street Arcade that does 50s style dresses. I haven't ever been in it, so I don't know how suitable they'd be for bridesmaids, but it's worth a shot.

Also, here's a thread from a while back: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77909667

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In person - probably Retro in the Georges Street Arcade

Online - if you're looking for relatively inexpensive (£30-50 ish) vintage styles - have a look at Lady V London or Lindy Bop. If you're willing to go a little more expensive, Vivien of Holloway is around £80-100 a dress. You could also try Honeypie Boutique - their off the rack bridesmaid's dresses are quite inexpensive, but you can also get a custom fit if you have a bridesmaid who needs it.

My wedding dress is from VoH and I'll most likely be putting my bridesmaids in their blue wild rose dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

convert wrote: »
    There's a shop in the George's Street Arcade that does 50s style dresses. I haven't ever been in it, so I don't know how suitable they'd be for bridesmaids, but it's worth a

Yes. My wife dragged me in here on the way to lunch a few weeks ago. Raved about it.. Loads of retro rockabilly gear but mostly dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

This shop could be worth a look too:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Babydoll-Boutique-Dublin/204041389609838?fref=ts

Its just beside the Foggy Dew in Temple Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Hello everyone!
    My lovely friend is getting married at the end of this year and is looking for 1950s style short dresses for her bridesmaids (I'm one!). The bride doesn't live in Ireland but all three of us bridesmaids do. She is coming home to go dress shopping with us very soon in Dublin and I'd love to have some ideas of shops where we could go try on some suitable dresses.. She has never lived in Dublin so is totally clueless as to where we could go and I'm not much better!!

At the moment we have an appointment in Dirty Fabulous but the vintage style dress that they do is really really expensive (€340 each!!) and we are looking for something much less pricey! She may decide to buy online but would love at least to try on some real dresses first to make sure they work on all of us! Any ideas please?? We could drive outside Dublin too if there was a somewhere relatively close by.. we only have one day- a saturday!

In Cork there is Brocade & Lime some fab dresses from all the eras not too dear either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I read about Lindy Bop here and bought a dress from them. They are really cheap (mine was £34 sterling) but the material is super heavy, like curtains, so it really holds you in. They do underskirts too. I am thrilled with mine and intend to buy loads more!

Advertisement