Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help? ssh funny business on raspbmc (debian based)

Options
  • 19-06-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I installed raspbmc on my raspberry pi the other night. SSh'd into it and everything was fine.

Then I set up a new user account so I could remove the out of the box pi one. I logged out and when I try to log back in again via ssh I get incorrect password refusals, both on my newuser and the default accounts.

If I attach a keyboard to the machine both logins work fine. So I logged into it with the newuser account, tried to restart the ssh service, and got a message that it doesn't exist. I thought that was odd, installed it and tried t ssh in again. Same error.

So I get that I messed something up, but I doubt I removed ssh. Could it be that in creating the new user I messed up permissions? How can I fix this without having to reimage the sd card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Rasbmc is a debian distribution designed especially for running XBMC on your Raspberry Pi. There is a lot of custom configuration.

Why did you want to remove the pi user?

It would be very easy to say just re-image it, but thats like saying "Just re-install linux", which is advice often heard on forums and the effect is you don't learn much.

Maybe try service --status-all to see if the SSH server is still running and if so what is it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I'd expect that ssh is running, otherwise you wouldn't get as far as the part telling you that your password is incorrect.

I'd probably start by looking at your /var/log/auth.log file after trying to log in and seeing if anything jumps out at you (obviously you will need to login directly to examine this).

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

cheers folks,

I flagged Debian in the thread title in an attempt to get help from people who would be familiar with it, but maybe wouldn't have come accross rasbian before.

I'll give the suggestions a go and let you know how I get on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not being funny....are you sure you're connecting to the correct IP? We've all done it.

Yeah, that's what I thought at first so I scanned with Fing (android) and it was the correct address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Strange. If you issued 'service ssh stop' as the pi user (or your new user) you would get an error due to premissions (you'd need sudo, adding the new user to the sudoers file, or change to root).

Also, any AllowUsers / AllowGroups entries in your sshd_config file would restrict users from connecting. Did you check your config for restricted users/groups?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Perhaps sshd is running as the wrong user? It then wouldn't be able to authenticate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Does the device you logged in from store credentials for the ssh connection to that IP address?
    You might try deleting that, if so.

I'm not a deb user nor use xbmc .... but I had something similar when ssh-ing into openelec some time ago.

Hi folks,

thanks for all the tips, I haven't had a chance to follow up on suggestions yet. Hopefully I will tomorrow. When I do I'll post back and let you know what the story / issue is.

Advertisement