Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Vehicle Records

Options
  • 19-06-2014 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hi all,

new to this forum!! I have recently decided to trace family. I have come across a marriage certificate for my great-grandparents. It provides the name of my great-great-grandfather and lists his occupation/profession as 'car owner'. this would have been 1904. Would anyone know of any records of car owners held anywhere?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

It would probably be a horse drawn car , or carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

see for example this directory page from 1848, long before what we'd refer to as Cars existed. "Cars in great numbers, ply at all times between Bray, Dublin and the surrounding county""

Two of my gtgt-grandfathers are shown with the same occupation, one in Bray the other in Dublin city. The one in Dublin is sometimes shown as a cab owner.

Edit : slightly later than your date, there's a 1911-1912 list availabale of all motor vehicle registrations in Ireland here

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

perfect - thank you shanew

im sure I will be back with more questions.............

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The RIAC has an archive which may be of use.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Phenix wrote: »
    hi all,

new to this forum!! I have recently decided to trace family. I have come across a marriage certificate for my great-grandparents. It provides the name of my great-great-grandfather and lists his occupation/profession as 'car owner'. this would have been 1904. Would anyone know of any records of car owners held anywhere?

thanks in advance

If it's a motor vehicle, the licensing authority would be the relevant Co. Council or Co. Borough (page 1 of shanew's link) so you need to check with that county's library / archive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

My ancestors were Dublin cab/car owner/drivers and I have a list of some Carriage/Cab/Car/Coach/Carriage Makers/Men/Proprietors taken from various Irish Directories here.

About twenty years ago, I did try to find out where Dublin horse drawn cab/car licences were held. At that time they were stored in the Dublin Civic Museum but were in numerical order, rather than ordered by name, and as I didn't know any of my ancestors' licence numbers, I didn't search them.

Advertisement