Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancestry World Archives Project

Options
  • 19-06-2014 9:45am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After reading about Ancestry latest project to index the BMD's from the Belfast Newsletter on Claire Santry's blog the other day I thought it's about time I had a go at this keying thing. So I downloaded the software and pressed a few buttons and soon I was slowly entering up data from a newspaper of 1848...

...I then I stopped and asked myself why am I working for free for the largest for profit genealogy company in the world? So I deleted the software.

Your thoughts please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You get cheaper subs when you're "active" (900 records every 30 days or something) and the transcribed indices are provided free once done; however if you want to do the same class of work for a completely free project there's the FreeBMD/FreeCEN/FreeREG projects and also Family Search Keying.

I blasted through a huge number, few thousand, of BMD records for them for a US set as I wanted the index in full - turned out to not have anything relevant for me in the end though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd agree with MYOB. Help out the organisations that give it away for free.

Things are tightening up with Origins having been bought by FMP - I wonder how long before they close down the former?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement