Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brides - what are you doing in preparation? Hair/Skin Regime etc

Options
  • 19-06-2014 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

So brides, I'm getting married in October - I've lost 2 dress sizes so far & doing some work toning up my arms & legs, for the honeymoon aswell, havent been on a holiday in 8 years so I really want to relax & enjoy it & not be worried about how flabby I am!

Anyway, what are doing in terms of skincare or hair care in the run up to the big day & how far in advance have you been doing them - reading all these blogs about people going for regular facials & hair cuts etc with treatments, then of course nails & waxing etc aswell! When did you start doing all this cause I havent done much & am wondering if I should!

I got a sample of some lovely night serum for my skin & its fab! Really love the difference its made but its expensive stuff - might get it instead of paying for facials which I'm really not into to be honest.

Just wondering what beauty regime stuff you are doing - if any!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Drink lots of water, eat loads of green vegetables. Your skin will look after itself once your feed your body well.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Swimming a lot! I've always found that my skin is at its best when I'm in the pool or open water 2-3+ times a week.

My hair is short and poker-straight, it's hard to do any serious damage to it, but it's also hard to make significant improvements. Also, what homemadecider said re diet.

I'm a bit lazy about all things beauty though, expect me to wake up some morning about 2 weeks before the wedding thinking "Crap, I should have sorted that...".

• Registered Users Posts: 20 grace80

Won't be getting facials etc but did invest in a dermalogica daily exfoliator and hydrating mask to use for the next couple of months as it was recommended by my wedding make up artist.

Cleaned up my diet like other posters and have also given up alcohol (that mightn't last too long though!)

Have cut down on my use of GHD to try and improve the condition of my hair. Might get a deep conditioning treatment nearer the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm still 14 months out, but I'm thinking of starting a facial and waxing regime in January. I'm making an effort to eat better and exercise already, but it's all gone out the window in the last week with this sunshine. Hair-wise, I'm just growing it and keeping on top of the colour. I'll be getting extensions for the day itself because my hair is a bit too thin for the style I want.

We've leaving Ireland in August so I doubt I'll be drinking much once we go, which will help my whole body!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

oh God, you're freaking me out!! My plan is to get a great hairdresser, make up artist and photographer and pay them to work miracles!!

Haven't had my hair cut in over 8 months (saving money and trying to grow it) and it's in really crap condition, so think I'm going to need to do something. Never get facials anyway and have red skin, but as I said, that's what the MUA is for!

I run about 50k a week, so that keeps me fit, but also means my feet are in crap, I am already getting an uneven tan line, and have a constant red face! Doing pilates too to help with running and try get toned. I keep saying I'm going to start doing the plank every night for a minute, so far have done it once outside of pilates. 12 weeks to go though, so think I only have the stamina to stick at a regime for about 6 weeks!

To be honest, I think if I put major pressure on myself to lose weight, have fab skin, amazing hair, I'd get so caught up in my own appearance/ perfection on the day that I might lose focus on what it's all about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The only thing I'm doing is growing out my eyebrows to get them shaped professionally. I just wish I started earlier than 8 weeks before the wedding but I was a whim on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Had my highlights done 2weeks before the wedding. Had my brows waxed and tinted and the lashes tinted the Wednesday before. I was October as well so didn't bother with tan.
    No facial, no treatments or anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

color_girl wrote: »
    - I've lost 2 dress sizes so far & doing some work toning up my arms & legs, for the honeymoon aswell,

Good job! Well done, keep it up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I got gym membership about a year before the wedding and have kept it up since. I lost half a stone for the wedding due to stress anyway, it wasn't intentional as I only wanted to tone up rather than lose weight.

I did a course of laser hair removal a few months beforehand and used an organic self-tanning product. It was nice not to worry about hair removal for the beach during the honeymoon. I was happy with the tanning product I got as it was much nicer than the other stuff you usually get at pharmacies (that I had tried previously anyway), it smelt nicer, and while it still did stain white/bedding a little it certainly didn't stain as much as others.

I got a home tooth-whitening kit, which I used for 3 months before the wedding. I still have some left, but can't be bothered to go through the hassle :P
    I got my hair cut properly a few months before as I wanted to have healthy hair without split ends, but still keep it longish. The hairdresser recommended certain vitamins to expand the hair follicles to make my hair look fuller as I have very fine hair. However, they were quite expensive, so didn't bother.
    No other skin treatments other than keeping up the recommended daily skin-care routine, which I do anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm in the gym as often as I can
    Drinkings loads of water
    Taking Perfectille
    Taking Evening Primrose Oil
    Eating well
    Sleeping well
    Deep cleansing, toning and moisturising my face twice daily
    Using body lotion everyday after showering
    Taking care of my nails as best I can
    Using teeth whitening gel once a week
    I gave up alcohol nearly 2 years ago.. and I've never smoked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I did do a course of Dermalogica facials before I got married as I have acne-prone skin. It was a nice enough summer in London, so the sun did keep my skin healthy.

Lost over a stone working - worked as an Events Manager at home, so lots of running around! :)

Tried to treat my nails as they were splitting and breaking, but in the end had some fibre glass nails put on. Ruined my nails good & proper!

I take vitamins anyway, so no change there. But did dose us both up on Berocca just before as we didn't want colds to ruin the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I did nothing on the run up to my wedding, I lost 3st but that was for me after having a baby rather than for my wedding.
    The week running up to my wedding though I got fake everything; hair, eyelashes, nails, tan etc. & then had the usually make up artist & hairdresser on the day.

Advertisement