Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

delete your comment on thejournal.ie?

Options
  • 19-06-2014 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I can't seem to find anything on google/twitter/ thejournal.ie
    If you make a comment, how do you delete it?! I didn't realise that people need only click your name, and it brings them to your twitter account. I would of set up a non personal twitter if I knew this!!
    Any help greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just don't say stuff you're not comfortable being associated with...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭aob85

Bluefoam wrote: »

Wow thank you mr heindsight! Where would I be without you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭aob85

Bluefoam wrote: »

Wow thank you mr heindsight! Where would I be without you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

They appear to use some sort of up-vote system for posts. This probably means you can't delete (or edit) your posts. I would contact The Journal support and ask if removing your account also removes your posts / link to your twitter or if they can remove your account AND all your posts (or just your link to twitter).

If that doesn't work one possible work around would be the following: contact them a second time and say your son / daughter (fabricated) set up the account that is under 13 and has no permission to do so. That's in line with their policy to under 18 year old users and they would be required to remove all trace of your (fabricated) child: "Please note that users aged 13 or over but under the age of 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian each time such user wishes to post a comment on TheJournal.ie."

My personal take on this:
    I don't agree with websites that say "Log in with your [social media] account!" and not expressly stating that in doing so it will link your social media account to your post. It's like boards asking me to log in with facebook and people being able to click to be brought to my facebook page, I wouldn't be ok with that unless I was informed. Why? Because I don't want people on x,y,z website interacting with the more personal details on my social media account such as my image, my name or any other such details.

While it is pretty clear to people familiar with the web that signing in with your social media account forms a link, it is less so clear to someone not too familiar...and they are inclined to do it anyway because of the convenience of not having to set up an account.

I am however perfectly fine with linkings as long as long as I am informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A lot of media websites used to allow anonymous comments which meant open season for trolls, racists, homophobes, misogynists and other cretins on the margins of responsible debate.

You now have to give thejournal.ie and a lot of them your FB or Twitter password in order to be able to post a comment so it's tough luck if you post something and have second thoughts about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Thanks for that anonymous user.

Fwiw, it's not even possible to edit a comment. The comment I made did not convey the meaning I wanted. There forever now

Advertisement