Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Applied maths over the summer?

Options
  • 18-06-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm a 5th year student going into 6th, I do HL maths and physics, A1 student in both, is it possible to master the course over the summer (do 5-6 q's and be ready for the mocks ) with Help of a tutor? Or am I being too optimistic? Willing to put in the work 3 hours of tutoring a week( up to 3 hours a day of study for ap maths (don't want to dilute other subjects) cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Best idea ever! If you have money for the tutoring go for it! Every piece of works pays off a lot!
    You can get it done during the 6th year easily, but if you are committed definitely go for it. It will save you a lot of time in 6th year that you could use for other subjects :)
    Applied maths student, doing my exam on Friday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Username6212

Nicke011 wrote: »
    Best idea ever! If you have money for the tutoring go for it! Every piece of works pays off a lot!
    You can get it done during the 6th year easily, but if you are committed definitely go for it. It will save you a lot of time in 6th year that you could use for other subjects :)
    Applied maths student, doing my exam on Friday :D
    . How much time would have to spend to master it by September? As you know as yourself how long it takes to master a single question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Applied maths is a very short course and if you are good at honours maths an physics you should be able to manage it. We covered enough to do 6(i think its 6 you have to do) questions in 1 year with the second year just practicing. That was with an hour a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

We started Applied Maths in the middle of 5th year, and did a little work on ordinary level questions. Then in 6th year we moved to higher level, but my teacher was very bad and unorganized... We did 8 questions in total, but in the end we didn't have time to fully prepare all of them, so she focused on 6 questions... To start a question from scratch you'll probably need two, three weeks to learn it during the summer (in my opinion), depends really how fast you get it. Questions are quite easy once you understand them, but that's the whole point, right?
    Honestly I did very poorly in my Mocks, as I was frustrated plus some other factors. Then I worked a good bit after that and I'm hoping for an A or high B on Friday...
    Once you do 6,7,8 full years you'll see how you get on, and that's it... If you ask me best way to do it is to go straight to exam papers with the teacher and/or marking scheme, book is waste of time, because the questions are way easier than the ones on the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

Yeah you should have loads of time I took up applied maths after the mocks last year and did 7 questions in about 3 and a half months and got a B2, if I had more time and another topic I probably would have done better. 7 topics is not really enough though, you need 8 or 9 to have a decent choice in the exam, just look back over recent previous exam years and you'll see 1 or 2 really hard questions each year. Find a really good tutor too, it's can really difficult to understand as none of the books out there are particularly explanatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Yeah, I'd say aim to do learn the basics of every question, as the less popular ones (Circular Motion & SHM (Q6), Statics (Q7)) will help you in Physics as well. I wouldn't do Statics in the exam though :pac:

Start off with Linear Motion (Q1) I'd say, to ease you in. Don't do HL paper questions right away.

You probably haven't done Integration in Maths so you may hold off on Q10 (Differential Equations).

Good luck, it's good to see your motivated :) Just study Applied Maths when you feel bored, don't suck the enjoyment out of summer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Hi,

Now that school is long over I am wondering if anyone would consider passing on their Applied Maths notes, school work etc or even selling them for a small sum.

Anyone interested please pm me.

I am based in Limerick but am frequently in Dublin.

Advertisement