Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good craft beer bars in cork?

Options
  • 18-06-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭

Been a long time since I was there so just looking for a few pointers.

Will have a few hours to kill on Friday afternoon and evening and hoping to find a good craft beer bar....... with a beer garden...... which will have the World Cup on......

Asking for too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

First three that come to mind are....

Bierhaus, Cork.

Franciscan Well.

Porterhouse have a nice spot down there too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The Abbots is also alright. The €2 pints of cask bitter in April were quite memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ravelleman wrote: »
    The Abbots is also alright. The €2 pints of cask bitter in April were quite memorable.

Still going. Doombar at the moment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Abbot's and Bierhaus don't have beergardens. I don't think the Porterhouse does either. Franciscan Well does (a big one). Another option is the Fionnbarra on Douglas St - not quite a purely craft beer bar but they have a decent enough selection (and have had for a very long time), and a great beer garden.

Must say I think the Abbot's Ale House has gone downhill big time in the last six months or so. Stink of desperation about the place these days - flogging pints at €2 each has a certain target market, and it ain't the craft beer aficionado. The selection has disimproved majorly as well - the fridge had far less of interest than usual last time I was there and the draught selection has been fairly poor for a while now, being mostly Franciscan Well beers, Hoegaarden, Leffe and Grolsch recently - all fine beers (well, maybe not the Grolsch so much), but beers I can get in plenty of other places. The days of a selection of rarely seen Belgian hard hitters seem to be gone. Pity, as the place was the original craft beer pub in Cork (the downstairs anyway), many years before craft beers became popular (and when they were known as "foreign beers").

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Even at €2 I wouldn't be excited by Doombar...

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Even at €2 I wouldn't be excited by Doombar...

Ah, it's quite drinkable.
    I never said I was excited:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ah, it's quite drinkable.
    I never said I was excited:P

I dunno, every bar in this country has that, Tribute and A.N. Other English Pale/Golden ale on cask and I'm always super disappointed, especially when Wales has breweries like Conway, Purple Moose, Tiny Rebel and others making some cracking beers.

It's £2-3 per pint here depending on where/when you are and I'd very rarely buy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Definitely wouldn't say no to that. The Sharpe's Special they had before was quite decent - a nice, very sessionable English bitter.

Definitely wouldn't say no to that. The Sharpe's Special they had before was quite decent - a nice, very sessionable English bitter.

Two glasses of Doombar, two glasses of Cottonball pale ale. €7.
    Happy days.

Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Happy days.

!

Must say I think the Abbot's Ale House has gone downhill big time in the last six months or so. Stink of desperation about the place these days - flogging pints at €2 each has a certain target market, and it ain't the craft beer aficionado. The selection has disimproved majorly as well - the fridge had far less of interest than usual last time I was there and the draught selection has been fairly poor for a while now, being mostly Franciscan Well beers, Hoegaarden, Leffe and Grolsch recently - all fine beers (well, maybe not the Grolsch so much), but beers I can get in plenty of other places. The days of a selection of rarely seen Belgian hard hitters seem to be gone. Pity, as the place was the original craft beer pub in Cork (the downstairs anyway), many years before craft beers became popular (and when they were known as "foreign beers").

4% and under ABV beers on cask just don't appeal to "a certain market" whatever the price. I've never seen anyone drinking the cheap cask heavily in there. Also a bar full of nobody but "craft beer aficionados" sounds like a very dull and boring pub to me.

The beer selection in The Abbot's has always been an up and down affair and is something I often complain about and often love. To be fair, it's not really the time of year for 8 - 10 % dark, sweet Belgian beers. I'm very happy with having the cask on and a choice of two Cork pale ales - Chieftan and India Summer.

The warm weather and the world cup aren't doing the bar any favours at the moment, though.

Advertisement