Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who buys the grooms wedding ring?

Options
  • 18-06-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

is it traditionally the bride or groom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I think both bride and groom buy the two rings together.. Though maybe it's a matter of preference!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

jobless wrote: »
    is it traditionally the bride or groom?

Interesting question. Something I had not personally considered before. It's a good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Never heard of anything other than a couple picking out their wedding rings together and both paying.

Unless its some tradition??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well, depending on how traditional you want to be, the groom did not wear a wedding ring, so you can work it out the way it suits you. Maybe buy each others'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I bought his online but only because he wasn't pushed about what he got and wanted something el cheapo. It wasn't a big deal or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

If it wasn't traditional, then I presume bride didn't buy it anyway. Nowadays, I'm sure couples can pay for rings together since I'd assume if they're marrying each other their finances are joined anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We picked ours out together and we are paying half the total cost each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

We picked ours together and paid out of the wedding account which we both pay into every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

lazygal wrote: »
    I bought his online but only because he wasn't pushed about what he got and wanted something el cheapo. It wasn't a big deal or anything.

Bought mine myself but there was probably about 10 mins pondering involved. Found out very quickly no one really cares about the grooms ring so an expensive one was a waste.

We spent days looking for herself's one, it was a bloody chore at the end :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I bought both ours but we were together and joint finances etc just used my card but suppose we really went halves on them both. I pointed at a cheap ring tried the sizing gauge thing didn't even hold the one I bought until I collected the sized one a week later. Wore it wedding day and not once since.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i bought mine, he bought his.

mine needed to be made to fit in with my ring. he only wanted a cheap one and bought it online

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Can you use any ring to get married with? Like one you already own. Is it even a necessary part of a civil ceremony to exchange rings?

Just wondering :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Bought the rings together the money was taken from the joint wedding fund. Both rings are just simple gold bands they weren't cheap but we both wear them everyday and love them which is all that matters to us.

Malari wrote: »
    Can you use any ring to get married with? Like one you already own. Is it even a necessary part of a civil ceremony to exchange rings?

Just wondering :)

yes any ring, no not necessary civil ceremony can be whatever you want from just signing the forms and making the legal declarations to a walk down the aisle and the music. It just can't have any religious stuff if its in the registry office.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We're going to buy ours together... as our Christmas gift to each other :D

2 birds...

xzanti wrote: »
    We're going to buy ours together... as our Christmas gift to each other :D

2 birds...

Is that , with one stone or are you telling us your a lesbian and we have forgotten you in the debate and that the bride should always buy for the bride

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My friend's bought grooms ring in argos for €15.

He wasn't planning on wearing one, so they just needed it for the ceremony. 6 years later he's walking around with a €15 argos ring on his finger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

looksee wrote: »
    Well, depending on how traditional you want to be, the groom did not wear a wedding ring, so you can work it out the way it suits you. Maybe buy each others'.

True. Traditionally, the groom didn't wear a token to tell people that he was somebody's 'property'. Going waaaaaaay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

salmocab wrote: »
    yes any ring, no not necessary civil ceremony can be whatever you want from just signing the forms and making the legal declarations to a walk down the aisle and the music. It just can't have any religious stuff if its in the registry office.

We often talk about our hypothetical wedding. I was wondering recently if a ring is needed (even just on the day) for someone who doesn't intend to wear one. Good to know. I guess it's one of those "must have" assumptions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

salmocab wrote: »
    Is that , with one stone or are you telling us your a lesbian and we have forgotten you in the debate and that the bride should always buy for the bride

One stone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We each picked our own, I was firm that if I was going to wear one it had to reflect my personality somewhat and after finding tungsten carbide ones on-line ordered one from china (actually, I ordered two as I didn't like the first one when I saw it IRL).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Can I ask how a tungsten carbide ring from China reflects your personality?! I got one for himself but he lost it, so it was replaced with an even cheaper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We didn't go with rings either and it was no problem on the day - civil service. I think himself would have worn one only for the price, who knew a band cost so much :eek: I kinda hate the idea of wearing my marital status and don't really like rings anyway so we put the money towards our honeymoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We jointly paid for both rings. He wears his religiously whereas mine are usually on the window sill in either the kitchen or bathroom as I'm constantly taking them off the wash my hands, do the dishes, bath the little fella etc. & then I will forget & walk off without putting them back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Sleepy wrote: »
    We each picked our own, I was firm that if I was going to wear one it had to reflect my personality somewhat and after finding tungsten carbide ones on-line ordered one from china (actually, I ordered two as I didn't like the first one when I saw it IRL).

Curious where you got them and if the sizing was in anyway different. I like the idea of the material and want a geometric pattern on it. I don't ever wear rings normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would think we might be eachothers..Im not fuzzy about cost or anything I just want something nice that fits the engagement ring, and he was looking at these tungsten ones too well have to go take a look, actually saw the batman one as was half considering haha but he said ne something smarter but well see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

We paid jointly for our rings. They're actually both exactly the same, we only wanted something plain, and we each have different engagement rings.

I actually love my ring "dent" more than my rings. When I take them off to do the dishes or shower it makes me happy to still have a mark :)

Advertisement