Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into fly fishing, need reel and line advice

Options
  • 18-06-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Well folks, I'm just looking to ask a few questions and see if you can help. I'm getting back into on fly fishing on a stretch of the barrow.
    I just want to see what equipment I need so I'm set to go. I haven't fished in the last few years so I'm a wee bit hazy.
    I have a 9ft daiwa XT wilderness rod aftm #6. I have an Irish fly reel #5/6 so I think I'm OK so far?????

Now I'm going to be mostly if not always fishing wet flies so I'm wondering what line to I need, what size and what leaders? Also a few common wet flies recommendations would be great. The claret and mallard is a staple I remember I used to use.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

stevoman wrote: »
    Well folks, I'm just looking to ask a few questions and see if you can help. I'm getting back into on fly fishing on a stretch of the barrow.
    I just want to see what equipment I need so I'm set to go. I haven't fished in the last few years so I'm a wee bit hazy.
    I have a 9ft daiwa XT wilderness rod aftm #6. I have an Irish fly reel #5/6 so I think I'm OK so far?????

Well yes, the gear is matched. Dont know much about that brand of reel but I know a few lads that fish their fly rods and are happy with them.
    Now I'm going to be mostly if not always fishing wet flies so I'm wondering what line to I need, what size and what leaders?

As for the fly line, I dont know the barrow at all and am open to correction but I believe its a fairly big river? If so, Id go for the 6 weight line for a little bit to casting distance. Your options then are weight forward or double taper. I prefer a double taper as it lands a bit more gently on the water and can be reversed when it gets worn (hopefully not for years.) I've a cortland branded line and it doesn't have any cracks in it five or more so years on.

As for leader, im a fan of drennan sub surface for my wet fly fishing. I nearly always use 6lb breaking strain and find it perfectly strong and fairy invisible to the trout.

Also a few common wet flies recommendations would be great. The claret and mallard is a staple I remember I used to use.

Id be bluffing here to answer this. Local knowledge is always key ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Cheers for the info bud. Im really looking to getting back out and have a few casts. I will be ffishing a stretch of the barrow in the Midlands, nog too big and not too small a few trout for sport.

I ordered a good slow sinking #6 line today, I think there is a number 7 on the reel at the moment, but it will do for the time being I'm sure. I also invested in a tapered leader today. To bring the wet fly down I think I might tie a gold pheasant tail nymph to the leader and put my wet fly off it as a dropper. That will do for the time being I hope.

Roll on Saturday night.

Advertisement