Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Greenway

Options
  • 18-06-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Has anyone here experience of cycling the greenway in mayo and can anyone tell where the access points with parking for a camper are also any info on wild camping spots in the general area would be appreciated.
    Yours Zambo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

There is access to the Westport to Achill cycleway at Mulranny, close to the Hotel and my recollection is that there were opportunities for parking in the vicinity of the village along the N59.

Do a run on Google maps along the route and you should see what's available.

Follow the coastal road to Achill and you should see other opportunities for parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

piuswal wrote: »
    There is access to the Westport to Achill cycleway at Mulranny, close to the Hotel and my recollection is that there were opportunities for parking in the vicinity of the village along the N59.

Do a run on Google maps along the route and you should see what's available.

Follow the coastal road to Achill and you should see other opportunities for parking.

There were a few stealth campers parked at the beach in mulranny when i was there last.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Zambo ,
    There are several access points to the Great Western Greenway . Just drive along the main roads from Westport to Achill and you will see dozens of well signposted routes to get you there.
    There are lots of wild camping opportunities in the area but Im not aware of any that are directly next to the route . You will have to drive a little to find them .
    The beach side in Mullranny always has campers parked up and its beautiful there .
    The cycle route itself is an excellent facility. Safe cycling in the Irish countryside , it does your heart good . You'll love it .
    Enjoy , maybe you could get back to us here with a report on your adventure .
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭tphase

moodrater wrote: »
    There were a few stealth campers parked at the beach in mulranny when i was there last.
    Was that recently? Last time I was there (in March) the parking area behind the beach was completely covered in rocks thrown up by the storms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

tphase wrote: »
    Was that recently? Last time I was there (in March) the parking area behind the beach was completely covered in rocks thrown up by the storms

No was last September I'd say looks like it still might still be under repair: http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20081:bertra-and-mulranny-lose-blue-flags&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the replies,I cant see anything of the greenway on google maps,any tips?.Are there os maps showing the route.
    Yours Zambo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Hi
    Thanks for that but I think that map owes more to finger-painting than cartography.I would have expected the official site to have a map showing the road network and facilities along the route.Will keep looking.
    Yours Zambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Thanks thats more like it.
    Yours Zambo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

demoreino wrote: »
    The cycle route itself is an excellent facility. Safe cycling in the Irish countryside , it does your heart good . You'll love it .

Exactly right - at least what we say of it from Westport to Newport. Fantastic.

Advertisement