Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will a i5-4690k bottleneck the r9-290 ?

Options
  • 18-06-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

More specifically i do not plan on overclocking the i5 anytime soon and the video card is a Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 OC Windforce 3, 4GB DDR5, PCI-Express . Which as you can see is already overclocked by gigabyte. So will not having an i7 and not overclocking the 4690k bottleneck or slow down the r9 290 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

For games, no it will not bottle neck it. An i7 just adds additional features over an i5, most obvious hyper threading. Games generally do not use/need the full power of a CPU and the graphics card will be the first bottle neck.

I can't post links but google "anandtech the-intel-haswell-refresh-review-core-i7-4790-i5-4690-and-i3-4360-tested" and go to the 9th page of that article, which shows the results from a range of CPUs using a graphics card similar in performance to yours.

The charts on that page shows how, in many games the difference between even an i7 and an i3 is minimal at times.

Also if you don't plan on overclocking the CPU why not save yourself 10-20 euro and not get a standard i5 instead of an overclockable K version?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 domantasj1

Thanks ! ill make sure to check out that article. i want to get a K series so i can overclock it later once it does get older and needs more power. And i seen a few videos that were made before the release of the 4690k and the 4790k saying that they were only compatible with a z97 chipset, does anybody know if that is the case as i plan on getting an msi z87-gd65. Will it work with the 4690K ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If you're gaming - do not get a HT CPU. It best it's a waste of money better spent somewhere else (like the pub or GPU) at worst it may actually impact performance if parts of the game are executed on the logical core.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

If you want to overclock the 4690k make sure you get an appropriate cooler and motherboard.

In most games you won't be bottle necked by the CPU, and such an i5 is plenty of power for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Bepolite wrote: »
    If you're gaming - do not get a HT CPU. It best it's a waste of money better spent somewhere else (like the pub or GPU) at worst it may actually impact performance if parts of the game are executed on the logical core.

Not true, HT does help, especially noticeable with the i3's vs the pentiums. I7's vs i5's is less noticeable but will outperform them in games that can properly utilise 8 threads and should last longer before needing an upgrade.

I've never seen it negatively impact a game. This isn't the year 2000 anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

BloodBath wrote: »
    Not true, HT does help, especially noticeable with the i3's vs the pentiums. I7's vs i5's is less noticeable but will outperform them in games that can properly utilise 8 threads and should last longer before needing an upgrade.

I've never seen it negatively impact a game. This isn't the year 2000 anymore.

Multithreaded games which are CPU bound will be negatively impacted. ESO is one I know has issues. The extra performance on gaming on HT based CPU is more likely down to larger caches on the i7.

While this isn't the year 2000, it's also not the year 3000 or any year where a logical core will give the same performance as an actual core. HT on the right game, on the right day might give you 1-2 FPS assuming it also has the largeer cache.

Spend the money somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Redfox25

BloodBath wrote: »
    This isn't the year 2000 anymore.

Since when?
    Welcome back BB.

on topic, it will probably be a while before most games need 8 cores and it will probably be time for an upgrade then anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nope. i3's consistently perform better than identical speed pentiums by quite a bit. 20-30% better depending on the game.
    The same gains aren't there between i5's and i7's as the majority of games aren't optimised for 8 threads yet. They will be in future though.

Benchmarks.

http://www.techbuyersguru.com/CPUgaming2.php

Advertisement