Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for a complete noob!

Options
  • 18-06-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get into a bit of fishing this Summer. I've never fished before and no idea where to start with regards equipment etc.

I'm looking to do a bit of sea fishing and river fishing and getting set up relatively cheaply with begginer equipment. I'm worried if I go in and tell that to a guy in a shop he'll rip me off. Any advice would be great. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Tbh best to choose one or the other when starting off. You either want to do freshwater or sea angling.
    It's not as simple as dippin a line and hooking a fish. Both are completely different.
    As for gear you are right that some shops will rip you off in terms of gear when it comes to a newbie.
    First things first. Freshwater fishing or sea angling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Tbh best to choose one or the other when starting off. You either want to do freshwater or sea angling.
    It's not as simple as dippin a line and hooking a fish. Both are completely different.
    As for gear you are right that some shops will rip you off in terms of gear when it comes to a newbie.
    First things first. Freshwater fishing or sea angling

Does it have to be a case of doing one or the other? Is there not a rod that would be adequate for both?

If that is the case I'd do freshwater angling more as I don't live near the sea. But if any way possible I'd like to do both with the same gear.

Cheers for the response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

magma69 wrote: »
    Does it have to be a case of doing one or the other? Is there not a rod that would be adequate for both?

If that is the case I'd do freshwater angling more as I don't live near the sea. But if any way possible I'd like to do both with the same gear.

Cheers for the response.

go for a walk down to where you like to fish and talk to the guys there who will give you tips on what works best for that location.

There isn't a lot of cross over between sea and fresh water fishing

most guys who fish a lot will have a few rods to match where their fishing and what type of fish they are after. Because there is so many differences between sea and fresh water many anglers focus only on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

magma69 wrote: »

Cheers for the response.

If your starting off fishing yes it is a case of one or the other.
    If you've never castes then you'll need to learn that, how the reel works, your drag etc.
    no point in trying to learn both. It's not the same. Sea fishing is heavier line,bigger reel, rod, heavier weights , different bait etc.
    Seen as your not close to sea then freshwater is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

Id dissagree with the lads
    If its just lure fishing you want to do then a light trout rod with a 2500sized reel will also do for lrf fishing in the sea. Just make sure it has 2 spools and load it accordingly. A shimano catana would be a decent starter reel. If your gonna be doing very little sea fishing get a decent rod for freshwater and a 2nd cheaper rod for the salt. I got one for my dad last year for €15 and while its not brilliant it does the job every few months when he uses it.
    If its bait fishing then 2 complete set ups would be needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement