Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon entry through tour operator

Options
  • 18-06-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

im thinking of trying London marathon 2015,i missed the ballot and was wondering does anyone have any experience or feedback with using a tour operator package with guaranteed entries?

Is there any downside barring the extra cost ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I had very positive experiences of going through a tour company to Boston this year (I already had my own entry, just used them for flights and accomodation). TBH I couldn't have found my own flights/hotels any cheaper. And there was a great sense of cameraderie among the group and I would do so again if travelling to a transatlantic marathon. That said getting to/from London for the marathon is very cheap from Dublin so unless the prices of the tour company are very competitive it would not be worth it IMO.

The only downside for the guys who got their entry through the tour company for Boston it that they were put in the vary back wave so those chasing a decent time had no chance. I am not sure how this would work for London though as there are very few qualifiers so you might get a better starting position.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

menoscemo wrote: »
    I had very positive experiences of going through a tour company to Boston this year (I already had my own entry, just used them for flights and accomodation). TBH I couldn't have found my own flights/hotels any cheaper. And there was a great sense of cameraderie among the group and I would do so again if travelling to a transatlantic marathon. That said getting to/from London for the marathon is very cheap from Dublin so unless the prices of the tour company are very competitive it would not be worth it IMO.

The only downside for the guys who got their entry through the tour company for Boston it that they were put in the vary back wave so those chasing a decent time had no chance. I am not sure how this would work for London though as there are very few qualifiers so you might get a better starting position.

thanks for the reply,
    I would be worried about starting position alright as I would be trying to break sub 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I don't believe London do tour operator places, only GFA, Championship, ballot and charity but I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

i reckon a charity spot is your best bet really at this point

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I don't believe London do tour operator places, only GFA, Championship, ballot and charity but I stand to be corrected.

No, the guys who I travelled to Boston with certainly do London marthon tours with guaranteed entries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No, the guys who I travelled to Boston with certainly do London marthon tours with guaranteed entries.

was it this crowd?
    http://sportstravelinternational.com/

Cabaal wrote: »

Yes I believe they are the company who do tours including guaranteed entry

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Boston would've changed your start for you if you had good evidence of your pb's. Unless things were unusual this year with the added numbers in the race.

Boston would've changed your start for you if you had good evidence of your pb's. Unless things were unusual this year with the added numbers in the race.

As I say I was lucky and had my own entry in wave 1 so it made no odds to me...just one or two of the lads in wave 4 corral 9 didn't seem know about that though.....good to know all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Sportstravel are excellent. You can get a London spot with them but you will need to get in touch with them to register your interest as it sells very quick and they only get a small number of places. They also coordinate all the Charity places as well. I have been abroad 4 times with them and they do a great job to get you there, look after you at the marathon , and get you home. Martin Joyce and his wife Colette are very professional, they understand runners and their needs , so you will have no issues with them. No one else in Ireland gets guaranteed places in the big marathons. Hope this helps

PVincent wrote: »
    Sportstravel are excellent. You can get a London spot with them but you will need to get in touch with them to register your interest as it sells very quick and they only get a small number of places. They also coordinate all the Charity places as well. I have been abroad 4 times with them and they do a great job to get you there, look after you at the marathon , and get you home. Martin Joyce and his wife Colette are very professional, they understand runners and their needs , so you will have no issues with them. No one else in Ireland gets guaranteed places in the big marathons. Hope this helps

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are definitely tour operators doing London as anyone who was in the Strand Palace will have noticed the large number of French people staying there as part of a package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

+1

I had a good experience going to the Berlin marathon with them in '10 as well.

Boston is in my plans for next year, already have a qualifier so will probably use them for the trip based on your good experience this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Travelled with this crowd to ny last year. Very professional and top class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Travelled with this crowd to ny last year. Very professional and top class

About how much is the London package? Could be an option for a friend of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

RubyK wrote: »
    About how much is the London package? Could be an option for a friend of mine.

About €1,000 for the lot I think (flights, accommodation, race entry etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

yaboya1 wrote: »
    About €1,000 for the lot I think (flights, accommodation, race entry etc)

Thanks for the info yaboya1

thanks for all the info here and on pm, sounds like a great company ,hopefully all going well will be using them next april :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

opus wrote: »
    I had a good experience going to the Berlin marathon with them in '10 as well.

Boston is in my plans for next year, already have a qualifier so will probably use them for the trip based on your good experience this year.

I have been tour guide in Boston for this company on five occasions, including last year when the bombing happened. I couldn't make it this year with them as I was otherwise engaged.
    However, I hope to be back with them in Boston next year. It's a fantastic marathon in a great city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement