Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Daily driver Suggestions Sub 2.5 tax petrol max budget €3500

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

How about an Accord?

S60s are class though, you won't regret it if you buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

e class merc or 525 would be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

2.5 S Type should be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Idbatterim wrote: »
    e class merc or 525 would be good...

E class have too many expensive problems and 525 m sports as mentioned above are seriously thin on the ground that arent scrap.

Really taken with the idea of the 1750 T5 in Galway.

Give it a service new plugs k+n panel filter and a remap for some serious sleeper value with ultimate comfort. They have 255bhp or so as standard im sure a remap would see 280 easy.

OSI wrote: »
    If you're gonna get a S60 then a T5 is probably the only one worth looking at.

Reg snob says 07 2.0T

Inner Hooligan says 2.4 T5 Bigger injectors/K+N panel filter and remap.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    The 2.0T is just too underpowered for my liking. Near 80bhp down on the T5. The R is just too much extra money and stuff to break.

I guess. The sleeper value of a no visual mods T5 comfortbus just really appeals.

Plus the autobox will handle the torque a lot better than a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

I guess. The sleeper value of a no visual mods T5 comfortbus just really appeals.

Plus the autobox will handle the torque a lot better than a manual.

Not sure if that S60 is a T5. It could be a 2.5t which is a good bit down on power.

zizou_ wrote: »
    Not sure if that S60 is a T5. It could be a 2.5t which is a good bit down on power.

You could be right as the pre 2005 T5 was 2.3 only the 2005+ one had the 2.4 engine.

Could well be only a 2.5t with 210bhp or so. Would be happy enough with it for a bit would let me wait for a 2005 awd 2.4 T5 to pop up 6 months to a year down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »

This was suggested elsewhere in saloon form.

My main concern is I know very little about them.

Still near S60 comfort
    Boxer engine
    AWD
    200-250bhp (I think)

Sounds like a winning combo.

• Advertisement

My dad's neighbour has a 07 2.0 litre for a number of years and the only issues he has had with it was it needed two new boot struts (got in a breakers yard as Subaru wanted silly money) and now it needs a new DMF and clutch, other than that he loves it. Not sure it would have S60 level comfort but still worth a test drive. Petrol ones go cheap these days and there are plenty of Subaru owners forums out there to find lots of information on them.

My dad's neighbour has a 07 2.0 litre for a number of years and the only issues he has had with it was it needed two new boot struts (got in a breakers yard as Subaru wanted silly money) and now it needs a new DMF and clutch, other than that he loves it. Not sure it would have S60 level comfort but still worth a test drive. Petrol ones go cheap these days and there are plenty of Subaru owners forums out there to find lots of information on them.

168bhp which is lower than i expected from a 2.5, still worth a look maybe, AWD would be the main point along with modern styling, S60 has it licked for comfort refinement and power even in 2.0T form (177bhp) which is suprising.

Yeah 168bhp is a bit disappointing alright from a 2.5 but it's a simple enough engine and being a boxer it should have a bit of character, no turbo to worry about either.

If your budget could stretch then this would be worth looking at too, a lot of car for the money:

media?xwm=y&id=15615275&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Lexus/IS250/IS250-EXECUTIVE/201421224089717/

But anyway.

Yeah 168bhp is a bit disappointing alright from a 2.5 but it's a simple enough engine and being a boxer it should have a bit of character, no turbo to worry about either.

If your budget could stretch then this would be worth looking at too, a lot of car for the money:

media?xwm=y&id=15615275&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Lexus/IS250/IS250-EXECUTIVE/201421224089717/

But anyway.

Woeful yokes and almost double my budget :(

Aunt had one and there is little to recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Older model Legacy twin turbo could be picked up well within budget also.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-b4-twin-turbo/7135244
    30442918.jpeg

Also, new model 95 might be worth looking at as an alternative to the facelift S60

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-95-2-0t-linear-sport-bp/6734864
    28450027.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Those Turbo Volvo's have horrible torque steer.

No M-Sport 523's out there for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I know its not an M sport - and it may be a bit old - but wasn't there a 01 525 estate in the bangernomics section the other day???

edit - here it is

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-bmw-525i-touring-auto-nct-05-15/7120770 its not an M sport though

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Those Turbo Volvo's have horrible torque steer.

No M-Sport 523's out there for sale?

No clean ones ATM.

A few clean 520is tho

No clean ones ATM.

A few clean 520is tho

Don't panic buy anyhow. ;)

Also check out Bimmer forums.

• Advertisement

Don't panic buy anyhow. ;)

Also check out Bimmer forums.

I won't but reason for dumb thread is once ST is gone I will need a new daily within 3 days so :p

Also saw a 2006 S60/S80 coupe today outside work. Amazing looking yoke.

Didn't know they made a big coupe.

Have a drive in an S60 too before ruling them out.

A lot of people who have them tend to like them.

The V70s were a favourite with Uk police for traffic work for a good few years - so how bad can they be???

I just can't be doing with fwd.

I'd also suggest an A4/6 Avant 1.8T Quattro but unfortunately they're like gold dust hence hold their value incredibly well.

Kaiser D wrote: »

Now That's a sleeper.

With the 260bhp T5 too and awd.

Would love an AWD Volvo tbh as BN said a fwd daily doesn't appeal much :(

I just can't be doing with fwd.

I'd also suggest an A4/6 Avant 1.8T Quattro but unfortunately they're like gold dust hence hold their value incredibly well.

S60 still worth a drive though - imo ;)

Try it - if you don't like it - don't buy :)

Now That's a sleeper.

With the 260bhp T5 too and awd.

Would love an AWD Volvo tbh as BN said a fwd daily doesn't appeal much :(

There you go then, this is basically what you want bar the fact that its an estate. Worth looking at? Its over your part of the country too.

Kaiser D wrote: »
    There you go then, this is basically what you want bar the fact that its an estate. Worth looking at? Its over your part of the country too.

Estate wouldn't put me off at all maybe the awful pre 2004 interior but its a 2k car.

Safeguard the engine oil service new plugs remap and off ya go.

• Advertisement

Is the 2.5 on those a rover or BMW unit ?

Advertisement