Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappearing Grandfather

Options
  • 17-06-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have been able to trace back my mothers paternal line a few generations. The only thing is my grandfather is not registered as being dead even though I have believed him to be dead. My mother did not know him well as he and her mother seperated when my mum was born and remarried. My mum only saw him a couple of times after that when she was very young. While my mother was alive she never knew any of his side of the family. I recently managed to track down a sister of his who is still alive and called her. After I introduced myself and she got over the shock as she never knew my mum exsisted I asked about my grandfather. At first she told me that she didnt know his whereabouts as they never got on and he was a "bad egg" then eventually she told me that he had died either new years eve of 79 or 80 and that she only found out some years later. He was living in Clontarf at the time. I asked at BMD if it is possible that his death was not registered and she told me it was highly unlikely. I am starting to wonder if maybe my great aunt wasn't being truthful with me but why would she lie? I wrote to her to ask if she was sure about her brother being dead (in a round about way) I've heard nothing back from her though. I dont want to call her again as she is an old lady and I wouldnt want to make her feel uncomfortable....... Im lost so any suggestions would be great. My grandfathers name is David P M Skerrett b 1926

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it possible he emigrated? What age would he be if he had lived on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

I suppose Im really going by what my great aunt told me. He was born in 1926 so he would be 88.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

FreeBMD (the UK free GRO index) has very poor coverage after 1970 as it stands but it may be worth taking a quick look there - http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

I managed to track down a few people "missing" by Google searches (turned up headstones on transcription sites) or newspaper searches giving memorial notices, some form of address, etc - the various newspaper archives (INA, BNA, ProQuest, Nexis etc) are often free in libraries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The research room upstairs in Peasre Street Library might be a good place to look for clues.
    They have a full set of Thom's Directory's and Electoral Registers for Dublin plus access to online newspaper archives all of which just might give up some clues as to his whereabouts. You might be lucky and find an obituary for him or you may be able to rule in or out his sisters claim that he lived in Clontarf.
    My mothers grandfather died the day she was born but try as I might I cannot find where he was buried so I can understand the frustration of not being able to identify all facts pertaining to a close relative.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hi

A possible explanation for a disappearance - a 22 year old David Skerrett of Horseman's Row, Parnell Street, was involved in a series of robberies in 1948 - he drove the getaway car. There are a few reports in the newspapers between Jan-Jun 1948. He was sentenced to three years' imprisonment, reduced to one on appeal.

There is a marriage of David Pierse Skeritt [Marriage Index Dublin North 1945 Oct-Dec, Vol 2, p367]; if he's the David P. Skerrett who was born in 1926 [Birth Index Dublin South Apr-Jun 1926, Vol 2 p481] he would have been 19 when he married. The possible brides suggested by Findmypast are Elizabeth Frances Edgar or Betty Cleere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Thanks Kildarefan. I had seen the newspaper articles and knew about the robberies. I guess thats why his sister had said he was a bad egg. In 1945 he married Elizabeth Edgar and my mum was born in 1948. David and Elizabeth broke up shortly after.

Advertisement