Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 17-06-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I have to get 6 fillings and want to see is there a possibility of fixing a chip in my front tooth. I have also noticed my bottom set of teeth are becoming mis-aligned. I imagine this is going to be very expensive and want to get a quote from Northern Ireland.

Every time I go to the dentist in Ireland I feel like I'm being robbed. I am never given any quotes, I am just asked to get on the chair, open my mouth, pay a lot of money and to come back next week.

If anyone has journeyed up or lives in Northern Ireland I would really appreciate a PM as it is urgent for me to sort out my dental issues.

Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

There is no longer a price differential on basic dental work between the north and south, unless you compare the cheapest dentist in the north to the most expensive in the south or vice versa. I would get an estimate from a local dentist first as multiple days off work and multiple travel expenses (not to mention to terrible sterling conversion at the moment) will wipe out any potential minor savings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Nappy wrote: »
    Every time I go to the dentist in Ireland I feel like I'm being robbed. I am never given any quotes, I am just asked to get on the chair, open my mouth, pay a lot of money and to come back next week.
    quote]
    All dental practices in the ROI are obliged by the Irish Dental Council to display their prices. There is some onus on you as a consumer to check prices beforehand. No one forces you to sit in the chair& have treatment.
    Ask for a verbal or written quotation before having treatment. Pointless complaining about price afterwards; like going for a meal without asking for the menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

Pointless complaining about price afterwards; like going for a meal without asking for the menu![/QUOTE]

i would add eating the meal and only then worrying about the price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 scano001

I was going up north for a while as I to felt that every visit to my southern dentist was costing a couple of hundred euro. After a crown and an insert, I needed a filing in a back tooth. It was filled but became painful, I went back and had it redone, still painful. They took an x-ray and said my tooth was cracked and they recommended root canal and a crown, mega money. As it happened sterling and euro went the wrong direction and I postponed the work. After a couple of months in pain I went to a local dentist who replaced the painful filling and I'm brand new again. The practise in Newry seemed to have a different set of dentists every time i went there and maybe this should have been a warning to me. So, caution if you plan to go north get stung in sterling is much more expensive.

Advertisement