Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creaking headset

Options
  • 16-06-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi, I was playing around with the bike this evening and there's an awful creak out of the front stem.. Didn't notice it on my last ride but then I was making lots of noise...
    Any ideas on the cause??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

BohToffee wrote: »
    Hi, I was playing around with the bike this evening and there's an awful creak out of the front stem.. Didn't notice it on my last ride but then I was making lots of noise...
    Any ideas on the cause??

Not tightened correctly? The proper way to tighten the stem/headset is to tighten the top bolt first, tighten it so that you cannot move the spacers under the stem and then tighten the stem bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

CJC999 wrote: »
    Not tightened correctly? The proper way to tighten the stem/headset is to tighten the top bolt first, tighten it so that you cannot move the spacers under the stem and then tighten the stem bolts.

Thanks for the reply cjc, brought it back to the shop... It was the front fork, got it replaced under warranty... Nice new carbon fork on my defy5 now, afraid of my life I'll ruin it on these Irish roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I get a creak from my Defy 4 but it's nothing to worry about. The creak is from the cables rubbing the frame and the lugs the outer cables engage on the head tube. A small bit of silicone spray sorts it.

It never happens on spin - only when I turn the wheel in the house to get the bike through doors. I'd never turn to such an extent on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Turns out the aluminium fork was not set into the steel riser correctly, replaced FOC by the shop with carbon fork...

Advertisement