Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with VAT

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have just started a business with a colleague of mine and we are now registering for vat as our turnover threshold has surpassed €70k. We are an audiovisual business and have been contracted to provide staging, lighting and sound for a new festival in Wicklow. From our suppliers, we are being charged 23% vat on the equipment we rent. Do we charge 23% on top of that to our client? Will he then in turn add vat to his ticket selling price?

Also, if we do a vat return on what we pay on vat, do we get a big cheque for €18,000 or is it cancelled against the vat that we take in? Thank You!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

I assume since you have been contracted in you have a price agreed.
    If so the supply of sound equipment should be included in your contract price.
    the amount of vat you charge the client depends on the value of goods compared to labour(2/3 rule) ie. if more than 2/3 of the overall nett invoice is what you are charging for material then you charge the complete invoice at 23%. If not then you charge the 13.5% vat. Before invoicing check that your client is not vat exempt in this case you charge 0% VAT.
    BI-monthly you should complete your VAT 3 returns which is payable before the 23rd of following month. VAT 3 is basically the difference in vat on sales and purchases. If you are due money back from revenue you can off set this against you P30 returns ie payroll deductions (prsi,paye,usc, etc)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Whether the customer is exempt or not you still have to charge the VAT.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Firstly get an accountant to set you up.

Secondly get a good accounts package

Thirdly read the guide to vat in the stickies so you understand how vat works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

^ good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

Whether the customer is exempt or not you still have to charge the VAT.

dbran

I think he must have got confused with 13b authorisation and being exempt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Djgav911

beanie10 wrote: »
    I assume since you have been contracted in you have a price agreed.
    If so the supply of sound equipment should be included in your contract price.
    the amount of vat you charge the client depends on the value of goods compared to labour(2/3 rule) ie. if more than 2/3 of the overall nett invoice is what you are charging for material then you charge the complete invoice at 23%. If not then you charge the 13.5% vat. Before invoicing check that your client is not vat exempt in this case you charge 0% VAT.
    BI-monthly you should complete your VAT 3 returns which is payable before the 23rd of following month. VAT 3 is basically the difference in vat on sales and purchases. If you are due money back from revenue you can off set this against you P30 returns ie payroll deductions (prsi,paye,usc, etc)

Thanks so much for your reply, I fully understand it now. Thanks again!

Advertisement