Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass cutting near Blessington

Options
  • 16-06-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi there,

We're moving to Lacken, just outside Blessington and have just been quoted 150Euro a go to get the lawn cut on a regular basis.

The garden's quite a decent size and is on a steep slope. We haven't moved in yet, and are moving from Cambridge UK so the size is an estimate using Google Maps and I wouldn't know what the going rate for cutting the grass is. Front garden lawn is about 80m x 10m and the back garden is about 15m x 10m. (I do know if someone quoted me £120 sterling to mow the grass here I'd think someone was trying to pull a fast one!)

Given that 150euro is more than I earn in a day it seems really expensive so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a more reasonable gardener... or whether I'll just save the dosh and do it myself given we've got a decent mower and I'm better taking a day off to do it than paying someone!

Thanks.

Comments

You wont need to take the day off to cut 1/4 of an acre. A decent push mower with a drive should be able to do it in less than an hour if you mow it regularly. I'd definitely mow it my self if you cant get a better price than €150. For the price of 4-5 cuts you could get a great mower and an hour every 5-7 days would keep it tidy

Maybe this guy who quoted has to travel therefore the high price

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

Thanks Suresanders - I don't know where he's from but that's a really good point!

We were just given the price via the lettings agent and hence why I'm a bit suspicious about it and asking here.

I've never mown a steep lawn before but we've got a decent mower for our place over here. Cambridge is very flat........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

E150 for that size lawn is about right assuming the landscaper is paying vat/tax. Fuel must be accounted for (travel and mower), removal and dumping of clippings, wages, insurance and all the other overheads that contribute to the price. If it's very steep, a flymo mower may also need to be used on areas, which means 2 mowers are needed for the one job.

Ireland is still very expensive despite the recession. The wages have come down but the cost of things ever rise.

I don't think you're being ripped off but I suggest you buy a good mower (Honda are great) and learn to enjoy cutting the lawn.

Thanks lazybones32 - good to know.

It sounds like we're going to have a bit of an adjustment coming over, but we did expect that! Luckily I've always liked mowing the lawn. Always found it quite theraputic. Looks like I'll be doing it a bit more often.

One of my husband's colleagues today suggested that for a steep slope we ought to look for a self-propelled mulching mower. We've got a Masport with an aluminium deck at the moment but it's neither self-propelled nor mulching. We were looking at a Mountfield as a replacement. Not looked at Hondas yet, but will do - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Hondas are expensive but will do serious mileage.
    Most mowers come with mulchers, which is a definite bonus on a large lawn like yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

As alluded to a self propelled petrol mower will do the job, it's a lovely spot you are moving to...... the drive around the lake is beautiful.........enjoy ... say hello to Dave Young.......he's not far from you...... gas fcker.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

40-50 euro should be about the correct price once the person has somewhere to dump/compost cuttings. I'm not far from the area and no way should it cost that much.

Thanks ihatewinter. I think it's our relocation agent (she told us the other day that it was 180EUR per TV set for a TV licence - eh? A quick google was enough to show that was wrong). She's been giving us wrong information all the way along the process from starting the lease on a Sunday to school admissions age.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

I understood well that you are going to rent? (you mentioned a letting agency) if so it's normally the landlord that have to take care of cutting the grass.

That's right Steve_hoo we'll be letting and when we viewed the property it was something the letting agent was going to check. I did get the impression from the other places we viewed that normally it was the landlords who organised that kind of thing but we've got no experience and it's not the norm in the UK.

• Advertisement

And the plot thickens. We haven't signed the lease yet but have been told that the landlord insists the gardener cuts the grass at a cost to us of 25 EUR per hour (or whatever the gardener decides to charge) and 10-15 hrs per month over the summer months.

So, he is demanding we use his contractor to cut the grass with no option to do it ourselves or choose someone we feel comfortable with to do it (or control over cost).

It just doesn't sound reasonable to me. We've said we accept responsibility to maintain the garden but either you allow us to choose how we do this (either by contractor of our choosing, or ourselves) or if you insist on your contractor and no negotiation you should pay for it yourself.

Would be a shame to loose out on a house for the sake of the lawn mowing but frankly at this point I reckon we're ready to walk away. Will have to wait and see what the relocation agent, then the letting agent, and then finally the landlord (and back in reverse) have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

That's nuts. Why doesn't he just add it to the rent and spread it out over 12 months. Then just say its taken care of.
    Sure sounds like he's taking you for a ride??

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Archaeoliz wrote: »
    And the plot thickens. We haven't signed the lease yet but have been told that the landlord insists the gardener cuts the grass at a cost to us of 25 EUR per hour (or whatever the gardener decides to charge) and 10-15 hrs per month over the summer months.

So, he is demanding we use his contractor to cut the grass with no option to do it ourselves or choose someone we feel comfortable with to do it (or control over cost).

It just doesn't sound reasonable to me. We've said we accept responsibility to maintain the garden but either you allow us to choose how we do this (either by contractor of our choosing, or ourselves) or if you insist on your contractor and no negotiation you should pay for it yourself.

Would be a shame to loose out on a house for the sake of the lawn mowing but frankly at this point I reckon we're ready to walk away. Will have to wait and see what the relocation agent, then the letting agent, and then finally the landlord (and back in reverse) have to say.
    Dude seriously your story changes everytime you post, what exactly is it you would like to be hear?.
    If you don't like the landlords conditions (demands as you like to call them) then you don't have to accept them, it's really not that complicated, although I get the distinct impression you thrive on complicated.

Dude seriously your story changes everytime you post, what exactly is it you would like to be hear?.
    If you don't like the landlords conditions (demands as you like to call them) then you don't have to accept them, it's really not that complicated, although I get the distinct impression you thrive on complicated.

My friend - it's because the story we're getting changes every time we hear from agents and I have never known anything so complicated about cutting a lawn, or a lease. Thrive, erm no tbh I could do without it. I'm also about to move to Ireland and have no idea what's the same and what's different as over here. Cost of living I know is higher in some ways and lower in others.

And you're right. We don't have to accept them and we won't. I just appreciate knowing if I'm being unrealistic or unreasonable because I don't have a frame of reference or idea how much I should expect to pay.

redser7 wrote: »
    That's nuts. Why doesn't he just add it to the rent and spread it out over 12 months. Then just say its taken care of.
    Sure sounds like he's taking you for a ride??

Sounded like that to us too, but like I said a second ago... we just don't know. Aim here is to get a second opinion!

Can I suggest you get another perspective on this and try the Accommodation & Property forum here ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

See if the folks over there think your prospective landlord is being unreasonable.

Thanks redser7.... will stop pestering you green fingered folks and ask over there!

:) didn't mean it that way.

*grin* don't worry... twas a good suggestion!

Advertisement