Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've taken the plunge!

Options
  • 16-06-2014 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

So after two long years of carrying a charger around with me constantly, I went and upgraded myself from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S5 this evening. Haven't owned a Samsung since the Tocco was first released so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give advice re: apps etc just to start getting my head around this new (huge) phone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

I cant give you any real advice on apps because I don't really know what type of thing you are into, but what I can say is.....welcome to android:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

You haven't taken the plunge. If anything you've ascended higher on the ladder!!! ☺☺☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Let's hope so! Is there any app similar to find my iPhone for the android market?? I seem to need to use that app fairly often!
    Apps wise: sport, games... Any interesting ones at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Look up all the apps you had on your iphone and install those first. Give you something familiar to work with. then check out the top free chart and see if you're missing anything that you fancy in the top ten. After that, you may be all set!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

• Advertisement

Thank you guys!! :-) can anyone tell me if there's much of a difference in the use of the newer Samsung phones and the iPhone?:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Install Google keyboard or Swype to make you wonder how you ever wrote anything on an iphone. Sharing is generally much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Is there any app similar to find my iPhone for the android market?? I seem to need to use that app fairly often!

Android device manager download the app then use the web address to find/ring/wipe device- Web www.google.com/android/devicemanager
    App https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.adm

Phone arrived this morning. Very happy with it! Can already see it'll be miles ahead of the iphone...when I figure out how to use it that is :P

Dumb question: I've only been able to find & download Viber from the Galaxy Essentials app.... Does anyone know how/where to find Facebook/Snapchat/WhatsApp etc and download them? Feeling very lost at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

Phone arrived this morning. Very happy with it! Can already see it'll be miles ahead of the iphone...when I figure out how to use it that is :P

Dumb question: I've only been able to find & download Viber from the Galaxy Essentials app.... Does anyone know how/where to find Facebook/Snapchat/WhatsApp etc and download them? Feeling very lost at the mo!

Google play store. Little shop of wonders :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

https://f-droid.org/

"F-Droid is an installable catalogue of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications for the Android platform. The client makes it easy to browse, install, and keep track of updates on your device."

oh you great and lovely people :) I was feeling rather technologically challenged for a few minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

When youl feel more comfortable with your phone come back and ask for rooting. Then you'll be able to use real android gems like those:

FasterGPS https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=fastergps&fdid=org.fastergps
    NTPSync https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=ntpsync&fdid=org.ntpsync
    AdAway https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=adaway&fdid=org.adaway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I'd highly recommend ES file Explorer from the play store. Makes managing downloads, documents, files etc so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Sign into amazon and get the amazon app store from them, install it onto your phone. They offer 1 free app a day or various deals where you can install several picture apps and store up some coins, allowing you to use the coins to buy a game or so.
    The amazon app is not on the google play app store but check it every day and purchase the free app of the day if you want. There has been expensive apps for free. And the great thing is once you buy the free app once they get stored on your cloud so you will always have it with any android phone you have

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A complaint I've heard before from people switching from iPhone to Android is that they get annoyed with the sheer amount of notifications. On iPhone, you can turn them on/off from within Notification Centre in Settings, but on Android, you have to turn off notifications individually from each app that is making them.

Not sure if that's the case with the S5 though.

Advertisement