Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin SatNavs can't find Blanchardstown or other Dublin areas?

Options
  • 16-06-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello guys,

Trying to figure out who's the culprit of my problem.
    Whenever I do a search for Dublin area which has postal district code (D4, D15, etc.) associated with it, I can't find anything. Tried Blanchardstown, Sandyford, Santry, Sandymount and few others I found on Wikipedia, but no luck.

Is this fault of my device? (nuvi 1340)
    Would a map update solve this problem? (Currently I'm on Europe 2012.30)

Or this is a Garmin "design feature" and even recent Garmin models have same issues with Dublin areas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You have to enter the postal districts, i.e. Dublin followed by a number rather than the names I'm afraid. These are properly defined by An Post.

Places like Sandyford etc. are areas that are not formally defined as far as I know, so if you ask a number of people where, for example, Sandyford stops and Leopardstown begins, you'll get many different answers. In many instances, you'll also get people telling you they live in an adjoining area rather than the more obvious one, purely for snobbish reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, stick to street names. As Alun said above, district boundaries are ill-defined and in some cases commonly used district names don't officially exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭qwas75

Garmin has very nice feature called Loc8 codes. Very accurate and helped me a lot in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We've a nuvi 1300 that someone gave us. I think its brutal. If you have a UK postcode it probably works. But for Ireland its a PITA. Loc8 is only for a limited number of places. Maybe its the eco mode for fuel saving. But the 1300 takes you off the main road and down the smallest road it can. It seems to avoid main roads and motorways unless theres no other choice. I've messed around with the eco settings as some forums say that fixes it, but its only slightly better. I mainly use it as speed limit warning and its ok in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭qwas75

beauf wrote: »
    We've a nuvi 1300 that someone gave us. I think its brutal. If you have a UK postcode it probably works. But for Ireland its a PITA. Loc8 is only for a limited number of places. Maybe its the eco mode for fuel saving. But the 1300 takes you off the main road and down the smallest road it can. It seems to avoid main roads and motorways unless theres no other choice. I've messed around with the eco settings as some forums say that fixes it, but its only slightly better. I mainly use it as speed limit warning and its ok in a city.

Never had any problems with Loc8 codes. Never. Just generate a code for your desired location on their website, enter it into SatNav and you're good to go. Very accurate btw

• Advertisement
Advertisement