Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sqeuaky/creaking brake lever/shifter

Options
  • 16-06-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My brake levers (not the brakes themselves) are making noises - one is squeaking and the other is creaking. On pressing they both feel quite sluggish, in particular the one that is creaking. There is definite resistance when I press that one (the rear brake). So far I have rolled back the hoods and put some WD40 on any joints/points of friction that I can see, to no improvement. The bike was sitting in a box for 2 months while I moved, before that it was in regular use so this may have been creeping up for some time but I didn't notice it.

The shifters themselves are working fine, and there's no noise associated with their use. Just figured I'd put them in the title as they're in the levers too.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm no expert but maybe if you post the make & model of your levers it may help others point you in the right direction.

I'll be following closely as my Shimano Claris rear brake/front shifter rattles like a ba$tard and is infuriating. LBS says little can be done :(

Maybe it's time for a new bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skuldintape

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm no expert but maybe if you post the make & model of your levers it may help others point you in the right direction.

I'll be following closely as my Shimano Claris rear brake/front shifter rattles like a ba$tard and is infuriating. LBS says little can be done :(

Good call. The whole brake set is Shimano 105. They came with my Canyon 2 years ago and I haven't done any tinkering with them at all since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

crosstownk wrote: »

the boards.ie answer to everything lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

New cables and housing will cure most of the problems you have listed there!
    Sitting and laying idle will for a few weeks will give the moisture time to play havoc between your cables and housing leading to unresponsive levers and calipers etc

Advertisement