Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Aherlow

Options
  • 16-06-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

Im heading upto the Glen of Aherlow in a few weeks with the wife. Whilst looking up things to do i saw that the Aherlow river is supposed to have a decent stock of perch and trout. If the weather is good im gonna pack a little lure rod and have a go and the wife will be happy on the bank with a magazine. If the weather is poor ill probably not be allowed fish as its meant to be a romantic break away lol.
    Im a salt water angler and altho im sure i did as a young lad, i dont ever remember even having a cast into fresh water so im pretty clueless
    Any hints or tips for me on what i should bring? What type of lures, hook sizes, worms, maggots etc??
    Also if anyone wants to share an actual part of the river to fish that has a comfy spot to keep herself happy id be gratefull of a pm.
    thanks
    red.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

a selection of mepps from size 0-2 would be a good start,will do for perch and trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

squidly wrote: »
    a selection of mepps from size 0-2 would be a good start,will do for perch and trout.
    Thank you! What should i be looking for when picking a spot to fish? Deep or shallow? Fast or slow water?
    Like i said, i really am clueless lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

.red. wrote: »
    Thank you! What should i be looking for when picking a spot to fish? Deep or shallow? Fast or slow water?
    Like i said, i really am clueless lol.
    Hi,

I dont know the river but knowing Trout, They'll be in fast water, Or where there is Good oxygen for them, Perch and pike would be in the deeper and slower water, also if your going for perch use a wired trace, and for trout there smart so use 5,6,7 lb line..

Tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

I fished the river aherlow for years as a child up till I was in my 20's and the only bait I ever used was cheese. Get a block of clavita and some small hooks, break off a piece of the cheese and wrap around the hook, leaving the very tip out. I'm not messing. There is an old church just down from the glen hotel and a small wooden bridge, cross the stream that feeds into the bigger river and all along that field there was a lot of spots to pick up trout. Above the bridge the river gets deeper. I think its fairly overgrown lately so all you need is a small spinning rod, not more than 8 foot. A small weight to get he cheese down, and because the cheese is so bright under the water you will actually see the trout taking it. The trout are small but a good selection of browns and rainbows. In the faster runs take off the lead and let it float with the current. I must pay a trip up there again for old times sake. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks a million for the advise.
    The weather will determine if i get out or not as herself will hardly sit in a field if its not sunny but ill report back to let ya know one way or the other.
    cheers.

• Advertisement

Went to aherlow but didnt get fishing for a few different reasons. Lovely spot tho. Hopefully ill get back at some stage and manage a few casts then.
    thanks again for the info.

Advertisement