Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S2 runing very slow

Options
  • 16-06-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Afternoon all,

Wonder if folks could help out I seem to have my S2 starting to run very slow and using up more RAM than usual even if I have nothing running.

Is there an virus scanners I should run on it or anything like it?

Cheers

New

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Newhand wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Wonder if folks could help out I seem to have my S2 starting to run very slow and using up more RAM than usual even if I have nothing running.

Is there an virus scanners I should run on it or anything like it?

Cheers

New

How do you know this: "using up more RAM than usual"

Android only uses the RAM it needs to run whatever app it is running in foreground, it keeps apps in memory to whatever extent it can, but drops them if it needs the RAM.

Killing apps rarely helps, as most will re-start, and you get no benefit from unused RAM anyway, it's wasted.

What RAM does the S2 have??

I think it's 1GB?

That should be adequate.

You could have rogue or misbehaving apps or app.

Sometimes doing a factory reset helps in cases like this, but you would lose all your apps, except original system apps, and need to get them again from Google Play, unless you have backed-up with Titannium Backup or similar, and restoring can be tricky, as restoring data can could bring back your problem, and may not work out to well....

I would always let the ones I want re-install from Play.

Less drastic would be clearing the system cache partition, which may help:
    Here's how it's done, with original recovery:

Turn off phone

Remove the battery and reinsert.

Hold down Volume UP and Volume Down keys

Press and hold the power button while still holding down to BOTH volume keys.

As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.

Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to the delete all cache data.

Press home to select.

Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.

Then press home to select reboot system now.

Wait for your phone to reboot.

You can also do this if you have custom recovery, which you can get into in the same way as above.

There are numerous cache cleaner apps available on Play, which clear app caches also, but the system cache partition is more crucial for performance, it can contain loads of stuff from Google Play, just left there, taking up space.

You can clear app caches easily, without any app, also, by going to Settings/Storage/Cached data, tap, and clear when prompted. (in Jellybean and up, you may not have this option, so just get a cache cleaner from Play.)

What ROM, Recovery, do you have, are they the original Samsung, or have you installed Custom ROM or Recovery. Was it updated to ICS or Jellybean, via OTA (over the air).

Anyway, I would clear the system cache from recovery, and then clear the app caches with an ppp or via the phone menu.

I would also look at flashing a custom ROM, other than Samsung TouchWiz stock, which has a lot of useless clutter.

There are many available on XDA, here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Get something that will show you _what_ is making you phone running slow. Android is linux, so you can dig deep and find what's the problem. High RAM usage is normal on android phone as it's caching everything that it can to speed up operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Get something that will show you _what_ is making you phone running slow. Android is linux, so you can dig deep and find what's the problem. High RAM usage is normal on android phone as it's caching everything that it can to speed up operation.

Any RAM not used is just a waste.

There are also Seeder Apps, which can help speed the system up, and quite a few scripts which can improve Android memory management, allegedly.

Like Zepp's SuperCharger, here on XDA

But the thread is all over the place now, and its easy to insult Mr. Zeppelinrox...

he can be difficult, if you are unsure of what you are looking for, or don't know your way around scripting, and the Android Memory Management system.

Also, there are RAM Manager Apps for root users, as you would also need for SuerCharger.

Advertisement