Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hkc ext bell tamper

Options
  • 16-06-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Hi

Alarm went off other morning and now won't set

Ext bell tamper shows on panel

Can you tell me how to fix please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Possibly just a loose cable at the control panel or at the external bell box.
    Check that all cables are securely connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

dkane wrote: »
    Possibly just a loose cable at the control panel or at the external bell box.
    Check that all cables are securely connected.

Had a go at reseating wires in the panel

Did not go well

When I took out two tamper wires in top right of panel for bell, alarm started ringing and wouldn't stop even though I was in engineer code

Tried to put a single piece of wire across those two tamper connectors ; wouldn't stop

Had to join two tamper wires together and put the two of them in the one tamper connector and it stopped ringing

The white and green are the two tamper

The red and black is the bell itself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

How old is your bell box, also what way are the l.e.d.s blinking? Are they blinking differently than normal?

kub wrote: »
    How old is your bell box, also what way are the l.e.d.s blinking? Are they blinking differently than normal?

Id say 15 yrs

While I joined the two tamper wires together the siren half muted and then when I put the two of them in to the connector it stopped

Led is flashing as normal but not as bright

The first place I would have looked was above in the bell box, I suspect a fault up there.

In the mean time if this is not possible stick in a 4.7k resistor between the BHO and Tamp Ret terminals.
    Leave the cable that is in the BHO there but remove the existing cable out of the Tamp Ret and replace that with the single leg of the resistor.

• Advertisement

The first place I would have looked was above in the bell box, I suspect a fault up there.

In the mean time if this is not possible stick in a 4.7k resistor between the BHO and Tamp Ret terminals.
    Leave the cable that is in the BHO there but remove the existing cable out of the Tamp Ret and replace that with the single leg of the resistor.

Went in to RS Radionics on Herberton Road - wouldn't do a sale for < 15 euro, even though resistor was 30c. Nice people.

Do you know what wattage this resistor shoud be?

Went in to RS Radionics on Herberton Road - wouldn't do a sale for < 15 euro, even though resistor was 30c. Nice people.

Do you know what wattage this resistor shoud be?

I think a quarter but once the meter says 4.7k, then you are sorted. Let us know how you get on.

I think a quarter but once the meter says 4.7k, then you are sorted. Let us know how you get on.

Got the resistor, still showin as a tamper fault though

Got the resistor, still showin as a tamper fault though

Re-read instructions and realised resistor should in both tamper bays with one or other tamper wire in Sab hold

Did that, all working

Thanks a million for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Odellius

Hi all,

Hope you can help. I fully removed a hkc external bell today to access a wall hole behind it. I also disonnected the internal sounder wires as the internal bell was ringing.

When I reconnected it back up connecting everything as it was beforehand the ext bell kept ringing and would not stop. My keypad had an ext bell tamper message.

I rechecked the wires and the tamper on the bell and all looked ok but still tamper message. I took out the resistor and connected into the panel in tamper and bho and left the wire from bell to bho in place. I lost my tamper message but I cannot get the bell to stop ringing. Its a hkc securewatch 8/12 eircom phonewatch which is also a nuisance as i do not know the engineer code.

One other piece of info, i had it connected with resistor on panel and tamper and bho fully disconnected and left for 3 hours and the bell did not stop.

Any suggestions? Thanks

• Advertisement

The fault is with the tamper switch in the bell box, it is either not clicking closed or perhaps one of the cables to it is not connected properly.

Thanks for your reply Kub, I was thinking along the same lines. Last night when it was too late to work at it, I disconnected the cable going into the siren on the bell and I placed the resistor into the panel to allow the alarm to be set. When I went back today to have another go I am now not getting any sound from the bell. I reconnected all of the wires as they were originally and all I was still getting was the ext bell tamper message on the keypad. I disconnected the tamper switch in the bell and connected a wire between the 2 terminals and I was still getting ext bell tamper.

Any further suggestions? I can't really understand how the bell box could have broken, it was just disconnected and left on the ground for a few hours (it was ringing for the first little while then died)

Thanks again,

How old is the bell box? Also what make is it? You may have inadvertently caused a fault which could have been on the way either way.

The alarm was fitted in 09, the bell is a hkc one, its an eircom phonewatch job.

In the bell box, there are 2 terminals alongside one another. 1 leg of the 4k7 resistor goes into one side on its own, on the other side the other leg of the resistor goes in with the cable for tamp ret. Just look at how it is labelled on the PCB.

Is that the way you have it done?

The other thing that i wonder is when you have the bell box powered up what way are the l.e.d.s flashing.......ie is the one on the right blinking quicker?

Yeah thats the way i had it connected and still the same. The leds are blinking normal i.e. Alternating right to left neither going faster

You didn't by any chance damage the cable going to the bell box, did you?

Just to be sure double check the way you have that resistor connected.

Perhaps it is getting a bit late now but the other thing to try is connecting the negative hold cable at the bell box onto one side of the resistor and the tamper return cable on the other side and see if the fault is still present on your keypad.

By any chance is your internal siren also on that tamper circuit? There might be an issue with its cover or even a back tamper switch.

You didn't by any chance damage the cable going to the bell box, did you?

Just to be sure double check the way you have that resistor connected.

Perhaps it is getting a bit late now but the other thing to try is connecting the negative hold cable at the bell box onto one side of the resistor and the tamper return cable on the other side and see if the fault is still present on your keypad.

By any chance is your internal siren also on that tamper circuit? There might be an issue with its cover or even a back tamper switch.

Ok, got back to it today, I replaced the entire bell and still the same problem. I checked the continuity of all of tge wires and they came back fine. Just for the craic I replaced the ext bell fuse and everything worked fine. The old fuse looked ok and there was no message on the keypad about a faulty fuse. Very strange, nonetheless working now. Thanks for your help

Odellius wrote: »
    Ok, got back to it today, I replaced the entire bell and still the same problem. I checked the continuity of all of tge wires and they came back fine. Just for the craic I replaced the ext bell fuse and everything worked fine. The old fuse looked ok and there was no message on the keypad about a faulty fuse. Very strange, nonetheless working now. Thanks for your help

I don't like that, keep an eye on that fuse over the next while. There may be a slight short circuit which is within the tolerance of the new fuse. I am still querying cable damage. But you are sorted so hopefully all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

I don't like that, keep an eye on that fuse over the next while. There may be a slight short circuit which is within the tolerance of the new fuse. I am still querying cable damage. But you are sorted so hopefully all good.

Have to agree, a blown fuse is not a good sign as it could be either the cable or the unit itself causing the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Any way to stop the alarm going off until I can get an engineer out. Same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

The user code should turn it off but external might ring till its timer runs down.

Advertisement