Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EUR 169 for new glasses - a rip off?

Options
  • 16-06-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

If you have children and they wear glasses, how much did you pay for a pair?
    Over the weekend I was quoted EUR 89 for the frame and EUR 89 for the lenses.
    Seems expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Where were you shopping? And do they have extra needs for their lenses? ie thinning for stronger prescription lenses. I would think they should be much cheaper. Specsavers do a kids range that go as low as €29 for the frames (I'm not 100% but it's usually an all inclusive price). This pair (just one of many from the kids and teens range) is €55 inclusive of single vision lenses (ie not bifocals).

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭foreignobserver

thanks Nicowa.

I do not think these lenses are anything special. Plastic ones because the guy hinted they do not really do glass lenses anymore. No anti-reflective coating on them (it would be EUR 189 with that I was told) It is a small shop in Lucan. I always try to shop local.
    But might try Specsavers in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

If you still want to shop local let him know that you'll be going to specsavers when you go in to get the prescription - there's no point doing a second eye test and specsavers will do prescriptions from other shops. See if he'll do something for you. If he says he can't do anything just get the prescription and go. Loyalty will only stretch so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Sounds normal enough to me. I'd get the anti-reflective coating though. They look terrible otherwise- no one will be able to see your child's eyes as there will constantly be a glare off the glasses. It could make the child self conscious- it definitely did with me back in the day (I was 11 when I got my first pair).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Magenta wrote: »
    Sounds normal enough to me. I'd get the anti-reflective coating though. They look terrible otherwise- no one will be able to see your child's eyes as there will constantly be a glare off the glasses. It could make the child self conscious- it definitely did with me back in the day (I was 11 when I got my first pair).

Well your quite silly to think that lens price is normal. Nearly €189 for standard single vision lenses that's a rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

2years ago I decided to go local with my optician, I then after a few months broke one of the sides and lens fell out, I took it back and they basically told me they didn't do that style anymore and couldn't be fixed . I went to specsavers and they fixed it for me no probs and only charged me 7 euro. Before I went local I only ever went to specsavers . Local buisness my ars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Don't even bother with specsavers. I was sick of their poor customer service, extremely poor selection ( no decent designer glasses eg ray bans) and whatever glasses they had were over priced. I just buy glasses online. I got a pair of authentic ray ban glasses for €100 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Foggles

You could try another local optician. €89 is quite steep for kids lenses, as for the frame €89 is also a lot but I am sure there is a range to choose from.

Advertisement