Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric or Acoustic Drums

Options
  • 16-06-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I was thinking of buying a set. I've always wanted to begin playing but I just never got around to it. Is it easy to teach yourself how to play them?

Also, which are better - normal drums or electric drums? I haven't too much room so I'd imagine that electric drums would be more practical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Electric drums are useful because of the obvious noise and room concerns. Also, they can be handy for beginners to learn basic beats. However, if you plan on being serious, you will need to practise regularly on an acoustic kit. Even the most high-end electronic kits cannot provide you with the same response that a basic acoustic kit gives you. By response, I mean everything from the range of dynamics to the feel of the stick hitting the skins when playing rudiments.

It is highly possible to learn by yourself using your own intuition and internet resources. However, I would recommend at least 5-10 lessons with a good teacher to prevent bad habits. Something as subtle as how to hold a stick properly can make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

what he said.

electric drums are great because you can wear headphones and not annoy the whole street, but the problem is that you then learn to use the volume knob to play quietly rather than your playing ability........

Advertisement