Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I give my upgrade to my son, and keep my old phone?

Options
  • 16-06-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

I'm on vodafone bill pay, and am eligible for an upgrade. I want to upgrade to an iphone 4s. I want to know is there anyway I can keep my old phone (which is an old nokia) to use myself, and give the new phone to my son to use as a payg phone with a different sim card? A new micro sim is coming with the new phone. Will my old sim card be useless once the new phone is operating? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

maudgone wrote: »
    I'm on vodafone bill pay, and am eligible for an upgrade. I want to upgrade to an iphone 4s. I want to know is there anyway I can keep my old phone (which is an old nokia) to use myself, and give the new phone to my son to use as a payg phone with a different sim card? A new micro sim is coming with the new phone. Will my old sim card be useless once the new phone is operating? Any help appreciated.

Yes you can give it to your son if he's also with Vodafone as the phone will be lock to vodafone, if he drops with his sim card to a vodafone shop they should be able to swap for a Microsim, or he can try contacting vodafone support over the phone to use the sim card you are getting with the order.

Any allowance with the plan like calls, text and Data are linked to your phone number so he won't be able to use them he will need to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

nava wrote: »
    Yes you can give it to your son if he's also with Vodafone as the phone will be lock to vodafone, if he drops with his sim card to a vodafone shop they should be able to swap for a Microsim, or he can try contacting vodafone support over the phone to use the sim card you are getting with the order.

Any allowance with the plan like calls, text and Data are linked to your phone number so he won't be able to use them he will need to pay for them.

He's on Meteor at the minute payg. So if he switches to vf payg he can get a new microsim from a vf shop and use it? Can we use the new sim card that came with the phone? What about my old phone, will the sim card in that be switched off?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

maudgone wrote: »
    He's on Meteor at the minute payg. So if he switches to vf payg he can get a new microsim from a vf shop and use it? Can we use the new sim card that came with the phone? What about my old phone, will the sim card in that be switched off?

To use the phone he has a few options
    • Move from Meteor to Vodafone,
    • Request the NAC (unlock code) on the vodafone website once you get it as you need the give the IMEI number, not sure what requirements you need to meet to get the phone unlock now, some networks only unlock after contract is over.
    • Pay for unlock, I can see it it can be done from under €30, just make sure they feedback is good an that's they do unlocks for Vodafone Ireland.

Regarding the SIM most networks you need to call them to move number to new SIM so your existing SIM will not get deactivated.

For best answer you can get a mod to move the post to the Talk to: Vodafone here in boards.

Advertisement