Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan floor repair

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I just got a second hand caravan and in one of the corners of the floor the wood is starting to rot what is the best course of action? I don't want to replace the whole floor...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭db

Is it spongy or rotting? If it is just spongy, it is probably delamination. The floor of a caravan is made up of a number of layers of material which can separate in areas of heavy traffic. There is a well documented procedure for repairing this which you should be able to find by searching for "caravan delamination repair". If it is rot in the structural timber it is a much different problem and you will have to cut out all the rotting timber and replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lkelly142

I need to check again but as far as i remember the wood was splitting like the way when ply wood gets old it its layers start splitting at corners. But when i look underneath the caravan at the outside the wood looks perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

Delamination,,,easy fix.The glue or filling between the sheets of ply has decayed.You fill it with a glue ,,,check out youtube,lots of help.Its a d.i.y. job. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aid03

Hi
    We have a similar problem. Just bought a 2006 eldiss caravan only to find rotten wood at both floor corners under bed.
    My husband is hoping to repair it himself with fibre glass. Has anyone any experience of doing this before?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aid03 wrote: »
    Hi
    We have a similar problem. Just bought a 2006 eldiss caravan only to find rotten wood at both floor corners under bed.
    My husband is hoping to repair it himself with fibre glass. Has anyone any experience of doing this before?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

First, find the leak and fix it. Any repairs done will be short-lived if the source of the problem is not sorted.
    Then cut out and replace the rotten timbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Aid03

niloc1951 wrote: »
    First, find the leak and fix it. Any repairs done will be short-lived if the source of the problem is not sorted.
    Then cut out and replace the rotten timbers.
    Thank you. I think he's coming round to the idea of replacing the timbers instead of filling with fibreglass. He's worried about joining the new timbers to the side wall though. Unfortunately I cant figure out how to add photos.
    Really appreciate your advice.

Advertisement