Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of replacing gable end of bungalow

Options
  • 15-06-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I know it's a very broad question but can anyone give me an idea of the cost of replacing gable end wall of a three bedroom bungalow (built in 1970's, average size). Elderly parents house has vertical cracks, ground to roof, both ends, no visible cracks in front or back walls. Hope to have someone check it and quote but, not having a clue about these things, was hoping someone should give me an idea of what cost we are looking at
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You need a structural engineer! not a price of the internet. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Sounds like the house is cleaving! if the front and the back are getting further apart the sides will crack. Why are the front and back moving? Could be anything, but is probably inadequate foundation for the soil type.

You need a structural engineer - one who has experience in the area.

You may need to underpin the front and back, depending on the cause and remedy. You may get away with fixing the cause - it could be a leaking pipe eroding the soil around the foundation, or a tree drying out the ground.

Only then can you worry about fixing the cracks. But if the underlying cause is remedied then you might get away with stitching the cracks and re-plastering. Google "helifix". Or you may have to knock the lot down and rebuild.

The insurance company may cover the cost, check the policy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

And we've had enough blind structural maybes.Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement