Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin Capsules

Options
  • 15-06-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Does anyone use capsules for there Decimal collection?

What size do you use for Irish decimal 50p?

I know they are equilateral curve heptagon of constant breadth 30mm etc etc.
    Got 30mm caps (Linder) and they don't fit. :/

Any other collectors have this problem? if so what do you use?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Haven't used them for 50p, but you usually have to go a millimeter up from whatever the coin is.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

That is what I was thinking, checked the UK sites there old 50p was the same size and went with what they recommended :(
    Have you used capsules on Irish £1 coins?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Sorry, you don't have to go a whole 1mm up, but it does have to be slightly bigger than the coin itself. For example all the euro coin capsules by lighthouse have .25mm larger inner diameter than the coins themselves. The old pound coin was 31.1mm so a 31.5 capsule should do, if you went 32 it would just rattle a bit inside.

I made the same mistake when I first bought capsules, but fortunately I didn't buy too many. I had 40mm silver proof medals and I went and bought some 40mm capsules because it said "for coins up to 40mm". However, while the medals did fit, it was a very tight squeeze and I had a bit of difficulty getting it back out. I then just went with 41mm to be on the safe side and they only rattle a tiny bit, I probably could have got away with a 40.5mm capsule.

Advertisement