Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horsetail Weed Mortox 50

Options
  • 15-06-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Is it true that I read that Mortox 50 can effectively remove horsetail weeds?

Tried removing the weed last year and they just came back even worse this year.
    It's very difficult to take out the whole weed including the full length of the root as it's very long.
    Was just outside weeding it but kept snapping the root and know it'll come back again.
    I presume you can buy Mortox 50 in normal garden centres ?
    Will be laying down garden fabric this time round if I can get rid of most of the weed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guttervac

I have used round up on horsetail successfully in the past, although it does take quite a few applications of it to eradicate it

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Guttervac wrote: »
    I have used round up on horsetail successfully in the past, although it does take quite a few applications of it to eradicate it

Yeah? Might give that a try if I can't Mortox 50 but last year I went into a garden centre asking for advice and he said there is nothing that can be used on the weed other than weeding it by hand.
    Then I stumbled on a forum today that someone had luck by removing it using Mortox and some by using vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

try beating it a bit (before spraying) with a couple of bamboo canes to break the skin a bit to allow better ingress of the systemic weedkiller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A few applications of round-up might do it (10 mls of herbicide per 1 L water)

or

12.5 mls of Gallup 360 + 6 mls of Grazon 90 per L water, will kill it on first application.

Option 2 is expensive but effective and immediate.

Wear a mask and gloves whichever option you choose; herbicides kill by attacking plants at a cellular level, they will kill yours too.

Advertisement