Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite dish/receiver setup

Options
  • 15-06-2014 11:04am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just moved into a house where the previous owner had a satellite dish installed for receiving German TV.

They left me the dish, and a satellite receiver (which was in a spare bedroom). I want to use both to provide basic tv for when guests are staying over, I'm thinking FTA U.K. channels with the Irish channels via Saorview (using an aerial).

I plugged the satellite receiver into a tv, and found it had no channels on it at all!
    As they were using it for German TV, I assume Astra 1 @ 19 degrees.
    It's showing signal between 40 & 50%, but when I scan for channels, I find none.

I have no prior experience with FTA satellite, having only used Sky & UPC for TV before.

Does it matter that there is no card in the receiver box?

Is a signal strength of 40-50% too weak for viewing? Do I need to adjust the dish?

(I understand that If I want U.K. FTA channels, I'll have to move the dish to Astra 2 @ 28 degrees)
    (I also have access to an old White Sky+ box, so, if I moved the dish to 28 degrees, would/could this work for FTA?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

I just moved into a house where the previous owner had a satellite dish installed for receiving German TV.

They left me the dish, and a satellite receiver (which was in a spare bedroom). I want to use both to provide basic tv for when guests are staying over, I'm thinking FTA U.K. channels with the Irish channels via Saorview (using an aerial).

I plugged the satellite receiver into a tv, and found it had no channels on it at all!
    As they were using it for German TV, I assume Astra 1 @ 19 degrees.
    It's showing signal between 40 & 50%, but when I scan for channels, I find none.

I have no prior experience with FTA satellite, having only used Sky & UPC for TV before.

Is a signal strength of 40-50% too weak for viewing? Do I need to adjust the dish?

(I understand that If I want U.K. FTA channels, I'll have to move the dish to Astra 2 @ 28 degrees)
    (I also have access to an old White Sky+ box, so, if I moved the dish to 28 degrees, would/could this work for FTA?)
    Hi OP, yes 40/50 is too weak to catch anything you have to be looking at a minimum of 75 to be able to watch anything.
    furthermore you will have to adjust the position to 28 and it should probably work with the white sky box, not to sure though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yulkmn wrote: »
    Hi OP, yes 40/50 is too weak to catch anything you have to be looking at a minimum of 75 to be able to watch anything.
    furthermore you will have to adjust the position to 28 and it should probably work with the white sky box, not to sure though.

Thanks for the reply,

I have clear line of sight to the horizon, would the weak signal be down to the dish having moved? (by wind or something?)
    I guess I need a satellite signal finder and a ladder??

Apologies Mods if I'm in the wrong section, feel free to move me to Satellite if you see fit.
    (I think this is my first new thread on Boards.)

Thanks for the reply,

I have clear line of sight to the horizon, would the weak signal be down to the dish having moved? (by wind or something?)
    I guess I need a satellite signal finder and a ladder??
    no generaly its not beacause of wind, that the signal is that low, try tilting it up and down slowly while paying close attention to the signal, you shouldnt have a problem if you have a clear view an noting bloking it. What is the size of the dish? and does it have a motor?

I was thinking that a storm might have slightly moved the dish off it's original position,

I'm going to pick up a satellite finder and try that out.

Dish is of similar size to a sky dish (60cm?)
    It's not motorised (well, I don't think it is, I'll need to get up there and check it), but it certainly looks of the basic variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What is the make and model of the satellite receiver?
    A card isn't required for the FTA channels, UK or Germany.

If you're getting a weak signal the dish may have moved in recent months due to the stormy weather we had. It could also be an LNB, cable or connection fault.

If you've no experience of setting up a satellite dish you might consider getting an installer in to realign the dish and rectify any cable or LNB fault.

I was thinking that a storm might have slightly moved the dish off it's original position,

I'm going to pick up a satellite finder and try that out.

Dish is of similar size to a sky dish (60cm?)
    It's not motorised (well, I don't think it is, I'll need to get up there and check it), but it certainly looks of the basic variety.
    well i think definitely the dish is either to high up or to low down, it needs to be adjusted a satelite finder is a good idea but its definitely do able with out it..
    any way good luck with it, pm me if you need any advice/help

The Cush wrote: »
    What is the make and model of the satellite receiver?
    A card isn't required for the FTA channels, UK or Germany.

If you're getting a weak signal the dish may have moved in recent months due to the stormy weather we had. It could also be an LNB, cable or connection fault.

If you've no experience of setting up a satellite dish you might consider getting an installer in to realign the dish and rectify any cable or LNB fault.

Its a Tevion Vision 28208ALD

I was thinking maybe the stormy weather has indeed knocked it out of position.

I've no experience with satellite TV set up, but being fairly tech savvy, I'd certainly have a go at figuring it out myself.
    i'm off now to buy a satellite finder (hopefully) in Maplin in Blanch.

The Cush wrote: »
    might consider getting an installer in to realign the dish and rectify any cable or LNB fault.

I might go down this route anyway, get a once off installation, and maybe an upgraded dish/receiver.

I'd consider a motorised dish, as there are some Hotbird channels I'd like to get as well (for herself being not from around these parts), but I wouldn't like to be limited to Hotbird only!

Can they combine Saorview & FTA in the one box/set up? i.e. not having to switch TV input from Scart to TV back to Scart to flick between RTÉ & U.K. channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

A fixed dish with 2 LNBs would be a more user friendly option, 1 LNB for the UK channels on Astra2 and the other for the Hotbird sats with switching done automatically via a DiSEqC switch.

There are various combi terrestrial/FTA satellite receiver around e.g. http://www.tvtrade.ie/satellite-receivers/combo-receivers.html, a few threads here in the terrestrial forum discussing some of them.

• Advertisement

Thanks Cush.

Advertisement