Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Current Draw AW

Options
  • 14-06-2014 11:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what the AW 18500's are rated for in terms of current?

I'm looking to drop to 0.4 ohms, but dont want to blow my face off just yet.

Veterns, I summon you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

I wouldn't go that low with a 18500,at full charge you will be pulling 10.5 amps and I don't think any 18500's can do that >.<

Does it have a C rating on it?

To calculate the max amp draw multiply the mah by the C rating.

This is a handy battery calculator

http://www.kritikalmass.net/battery-calculator/

Be safe and use a 20 or 30 amp 18650 :)

There is a battery chart on it as well and it says max is 8.8 amps continuous and 11 pulsed but I wouldn't chance it.

AW 18490 1100 mah 8.8 amp 11 amp 8c 0.5 ohm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I wouldn't go that low with a 18500,at full charge you will be pulling 10.5 amps and I don't think any 18500's can do that >.<

Does it have a C rating on it?

To calculate the max amp draw multiply the mah by the C rating.

This is a handy battery calculator

http://www.kritikalmass.net/battery-calculator/

Be safe and use a 20 or 30 amp 18650 :)
    Can't see the C rating myself, maybe it has rubbed off or I'm going blind :-S.

30 amp 18650's?!, what batteries are reaching that?, sanyo's?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

The Sony vct 4 and 5's

30 amp continuous and 60 amp peak for both of them.

FT are after raising the price on them but they can't ship batteries atm anyway

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10004185/1659700

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Not sure where some of the resellers are getting their 8C rating for the 18490s from, this is the spec sheet direct from AW himself:
    IMR18490 Specifications :

Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
    Capacity : 1100mAH
    Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
    Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 3A )
    Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
    Max. continuous discharge rate : 15C

So that'd be 16.5A max continuous discharge.

I'd still stick with VTCs, an extra 1.5cm of length isn't much to ask for all that extra capacity & potential power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

grindle wrote: »
    Not sure where some of the resellers are getting their 8C rating for the 18490s from, this is the spec sheet direct from AW himself:

So that'd be 16.5A max continuous discharge.

I'd still stick with VTCs, an extra 1.5cm of length isn't much to ask for all that extra capacity & potential power.

hmmm 16.5A would leave a generous amount of headroom for a 0.4 ohm coil,should come in somewhere around 9A. Might look at the Sonys however for the added benefits,sure they'd probably fire negatives with their headroom :pac:.

• Advertisement
Advertisement