Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much will HEAR reduce my entry requirements by?

Options
  • 14-06-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So I've applied for the no preference science course (505 points with 380 places) and computer science (470 points with 50 places) in UCD. I'm think I'll get around 475 points, and my HEAR application was successful. How much would an entry requirement of 505 be reduced by? Could I get in if I got 475?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Hi OP, just wondering when did you hear from HEAR (lol)?

I applied on my son's behalf and haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mattjoe95

Hi Fiolina,
    I've actually repeated my LC this year and applied to HEAR last year and was successful, so they automatically gave me it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Ah that makes sense, I was getting worried. Hope you get the course you want :)

HEAR works the exact same as the CAO. There are a designated amount of spaces available in courses for HEAR applicants. These spaces are given out to successful HEAR applicants based on who got the highest points.
    For example, if there were 3 HEAR places and 5 people applied for that course, the top 3 points out of those 5 people would get the spot.
    However, if one of those people met the points requirement, they would not get a reduced points place on the course (HEAR will still give financial and academic support but the reduced points place was not needed). The 3 reduced points places would go to the top 3 points from the remaining 4 students.
    Therefore, it is impossible to know how many points people can get reduced by. Generally, courses with larger intake have a lot of HEAR places and as a results people can get in with as much as 75 points off. That doesn't mean you can rely on it as this year all the HEAR applicants applying to your course could do better than you and you could still lose the place.
    My advice would be to leave your CAO in your genuine order of preference, see how many points you do get and let CAO/HEAR take over the rest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

For example, if there were 3 HEAR places and 5 people applied for that course, the top 3 points out of those 5 people would get the spot. However, if one of those people met the points requirement, they would not get a reduced points place on the course (HEAR will still give financial and academic support but the reduced points place was not needed). The 3 reduced points places would go to the top 3 points from the remaining 4 students.

Are you sure about that? Two people have told me that even if an applicant scores above the minumim they still take one of the HEAR places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

qweerty wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? Two people have told me that even if an applicant scores above the minumim, they still take one of the HEAR places.

Nearly 100% sure he's right, it's the same way DARE works.

Are you sure about that? Two people have told me that even if an applicant scores above the minumim they still take one of the HEAR places.

I'm fairly sure because there are an unusually large amount of HEAR students in Pharmacy in my opinion but it makes sense as I know myself and 2 others didn't need the reduced points.

I'm on my phone, so it's a hassle to post, but I looked at a pdf on the HEAR website, an it said something along the lines of, "If you are eligible, you compete for one of the HEAR places", and makes no mention of exceeding points. However, if there were a scenario whereby there were, say, three HEAR places on a course, four people apply, and all exceed the minimum, it would clearly be unfair if all didn't get in. I might enquire about it in the next week.

I'm on my phone, so it's a hassle to post, but I looked at a pdf on the HEAR website, an it said something along the lines of, "If you are eligible, you compete for one of the HEAR places", and makes no mention of exceeding points. However, if there were a scenario whereby there were, say, three HEAR places on a course, four people apply, and all exceed the minimum, it would clearly be unfair if all didn't get in. I might enquire about it in the next week.

I can imagine a system where all students are treated normally by CAO and then places are distributed. Then from all the applicants who are unsuccessful, the HEAR students are selected and then HEAR places are redistributed by points. This way HEAR students may get a CAO place and then unsuccessful students compete for HEAR places.

I can imagine a system where all students are treated normally by CAO and then places are distributed. Then from all the applicants who are unsuccessful, the HEAR students are selected and then HEAR places are redistributed by points. This way HEAR students may get a CAO place and then unsuccessful students compete for HEAR places.

Only flaw is that universities can't control the likely cost of the scheme each year - ie more than usual could achieve the minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Nearly 100% sure he's right, it's the same way DARE works.
    I thought that, but someone was arguing with me here during the week. I think different colleges do it slightly differently tbh.
    ... and all exceed the minimum, it would clearly be unfair if all didn't get in.
    If you get the minimum normal CAO places you will definitely be offered a place.

Whether you will automatically also get a HEAR place and the funding is the only question.

I suspect colleges sometimes re-allocate when they can e.g. if all HEAR places in another course not filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

does anyone know the date we are told if we are accepted ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Yulkmn wrote: »
    does anyone know the date we are told if we are accepted ??

I'm not sure but last year it was around the 26th June!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It will be after the LC ends anyway (and I think HauntedGhost is right that it's normally pretty soon after that).

This poster seems pretty confident of her/his information.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oreilly94

Thought I'd give yous all a heads up. The HEAR applicants will find out if they get in on hear from the 23rd (Monday) of June onwards. Everyone should know by Friday 27th

Advertisement