Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White lines on tablet

Options
  • 14-06-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

My son's galaxy tablet has nothing but lines on the screen. What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

He was playing a game on it and stopped to watch t.v. When he went to play the game again there was nothing but white lines on the screen. He didn't drop it or put anything heavy on the screen either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Any chance you could post a pic of it?

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Any chance you could post a pic of it?

Rang Samsung and they said bring it back to the retailer. My sister bought it in Argos and I'm hoping she still has the receipt. I'll try take a pic and upload it soon. Honestly don't understand how it happened at all.

Hope this uploads. More lines can appear and trying to turn off the tablet is next to impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭disj

Had a similar thing with my new phone, lines on screen out of box, looked it up online and was a known issue, just return it I'm sure they'd have no issue replacing it so long as like you said, it wasn't dropped or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

KKkitty wrote: »
    Rang Samsung and they said bring it back to the retailer. My sister bought it in Argos and I'm hoping she still has the receipt. I'll try take a pic and upload it soon. Honestly don't understand how it happened at all.

How long have you or you son had this device??

Ringing the manufacturer regarding a device with a possible fault is not really recommended, as your contract of sale was and is with the retailer, apparently Argos.

You have the benefit of an EU mandated 2-year Statutory Warranty, in case such as this , which appears to be a hardware fault not caused by any action by you.

The manufacturers warranty, if it applies at all, would only be in addition to this Statutory Warranty

I would bring it back to Argos and would look for a new replacement device, not a repair, if you bought it in the past two years.

Here is a pdf file outlining your rights as a consumer, which you should print off and bring with you when returning the faulty item.

Also, see here information from the NCA, regarding your rights in the case of faulty goods:

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

How long have you or you son had this device??

Ringing the manufacturer regarding a device with a possible fault is not really recommended, as your contract of sale was and is with the retailer, apparently Argos.

You have the benefit of an EU mandated 2-year Statutory Warranty, in case such as this , which appears to be a hardware fault not caused by any action by you.

The manufacturers warranty, if it applies at all, would only be in addition to this Statutory Warranty

I would bring it back to Argos and would look for a new replacement device, not a repair, if you bought it in the past two years.

Here is a pdf file outlining your rights as a consumer, which you should print off and bring with you when returning the faulty item.

Also, see here information from the NCA, regarding your rights in the case of faulty goods:

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

My sister bought it for my son's birthday last week so he only has since last Saturday. What could have caused it do you think? Thanks for all that information. As soon as I get the receipt I'm going straight to Argos with it.

My sister bought it for my son's birthday last week so he only has since last Saturday. What could have caused it do you think? Thanks for all that information. As soon as I get the receipt I'm going straight to Argos with it.

I have no idea, and if I were you, I would not tamper with it in any way, or indeed attempt to open it up....

you are fully covered for a replacement unit, or indeed a refund, if that is what you want.

Any proof of purchase should do, even an on-line bank statement, as available with AIB/BOI/PTSB, etc.

This is what Argos say, note there is a 30-day no quibble return policy, which should cover you, but this does not affect your Statutory Rights...very important!!!!

http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm
    What if there's a fault with the product?

We've made it easier!

If you bring it back to us within 30 days with your proof of purchase*, we'll give you a replacement or a refund. ***[My note...this is the important bit]

If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair it. If repairing it is not possible, we’ll give you a replacement, and if that's not possible, we’ll give you a refund.

Please note, all large kitchen appliances are excluded from our 30-day money-back guarantee.

If your item develops a fault within 30 days, call us on 0044 845 640 0800 and one of our advisors will assist you.

If the item is faulty and cannot be repaired, we will arrange a replacement free of charge, or you can opt for a refund.

This doesn't affect your statutory rights.

They also give a number to call, but, as with most large British Retailers operating here, it is a UK 0044 International number.

This is typical of how they treat Irish customers.

Just on an aside, and my opinion, I would not take a replacement of the same device, I would insist on a refund.

There are places to buy the same or better Tablets, much better devices, and much cheaper.

[That is if you young lad is not absolutely fond of this particular Tablet, of course.]

Best of luck, remember they, Argos, say you have a 30-day absolute no quibble guarantee, shown above....

if necessary print it out and bring it with you....

the people in the Stores are sometimes misinformed as to their own policies!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hope this uploads. More lines can appear and trying to turn off the tablet is next to impossible.

Ah, definitely screwed. That's happened on some similar devices so not your fault. If you're in warranty, see what Samsung's policy on an RMA is (Google). Or Argos if you're within warranty.

Ask if you can get that receipt. If it was paid by card that might also be possible to get receipt. Insist on getting a repair/replacement. Go to Samsung directly if that isn't working.

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Ah, definitely screwed. That's happened on some similar devices so not your fault. If you're in warranty, see what Samsung's policy on an RMA is (Google). Or Argos if you're within warranty.

Ask if you can get that receipt. If it was paid by card that might also be possible to get receipt. Insist on getting a repair/replacement. Go to Samsung directly if that isn't working.

Have you read any of my posts here at all? :)

Thanks everyone. My son is quite fond of it unfortunately so I'll definitely need a replacement of the same device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thanks everyone. My son is quite fond of it unfortunately so I'll definitely need a replacement of the same device.

Be sure to tell us the outcome.

Greenman wrote: »
    Be sure to tell us the outcome.

I will indeed.

Just an update for ye. Brought it back to Argos and they replaced it with no problems :) Customer services there were great and turned on the tablet and then gave me a new one. Thanks for all your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Just an update for ye. Brought it back to Argos and they replaced it with no problems :) Customer services there were great and turned on the tablet and then gave me a new one. Thanks for all your advice.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Well done Argos and handy you were able to go back to a bricks and mortor outfit.

Greenman wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to us.

Well done Argos and handy you were able to go back to a bricks and mortor outfit.

Just seeing this. He's playing away on it now and the customer service in Argos dealt with it in a very swift manner.

Advertisement