Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Carbon Ultegra under €2k

Options
  • 13-06-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

****Updated - I had the prices mixed up *****

Im looking to get a new bike.
    My budget is sub €2k.
    Something with a comfort / sportive setup.

These are the 2 best options I found.

Planet X RT-58 Ultegra 6800 11 Road Bike
    €1775
    And

Giant Defy Composite 1 2014
    €1999

Any positives or negatives with these or even a better option....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

In in a similar position and am interested to see what kind of response you get.

This is on my list too:
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3502

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Deagol

A good buddy of mine waited for over a year but ended up with a Sean Kelly Vitus job from CR. 2.4k, carbon with full dura ace.

If you really want a bargain, I would suggest you need to wait (the best things come to those... :) ).

If you can't wait... I got a really great bike (a Sab frame with full Ultegra) from Merlin Cycles in the UK, if you can stand not getting a 'named' frame.

For €2100 I got Sab carbon frame, full Ultregra 6700, Ritchey bars etc. plus, a spare set of RS30 wheels (I specced a set of 6700 wheels as a special).
    Bike arrived in less than 2 weeks and I've never regreted the purchase (apart from buying a new saddle, the one it came with just didn't suit my butt :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Thanks Guys But I need a bricks and mortar seller to put in the bike to work scheme..

Ultegra is good enough for me as replacing dura ace parts would break my budget...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If you can't do online, I seriously doubt you could do better than the planet x

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Was thinking that but dont know how the planet fairs up against the giant.
    I know the giant is more main stream than planet bike but is there anything other than price that favours the planet.

At the end of the day if the giant is seen to be better its only 200€ more and I could go to LBS to buy it or if I have any issues.

Is planet x in athlone the only way to get planet x in ireland ?

Seems that planetxireland are not on the biketowork.ie that my employer uses either...

Brian? wrote: »
    If you can't do online, I seriously doubt you could do better than the planet x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

dfdream wrote: »
    Was thinking that but dont know how the planet fairs up against the giant.
    I know the giant is more main stream than planet bike but is there anything other than price that favours the planet.

At the end of the day if the giant is seen to be better its only 200€ more.

I honestly don't think the Giant is €200
    Better than the Planet X.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

It would be the giant for me.great bike.

also the giant will sell on better when you decide to get something different further down the road.

similar defy was bike of year 2013 .

The price tags are mixed up in the OP btw. My main problem with the Giant is that it's a bit, well, Giant-y. Don't really like the frame shape, the paint job, the Giant wheels, Giant tyres, Giant finishing kit...

If I'm going to be spending that much on a bike, I want to love it. I don't really want something I look at and go 'meh'. So I think I'm inclined to hang on until something gorgeous comes up, either online, or a 'last season special' in an LBS. I still like the planet x's as a default option though.

I had a look on Merlin, found this that looks pretty fine (apologies to the OP, I know you can't buy online)

http://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-giulia-custom-road-bike-57811.html

Maybe shop around for a focus cayo evo....serious machines...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Not Ultegra but with 105 this has a fantastic frame for upgrading in a few years:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=68642

Join the loyalty scheme for a further discount. Excellent frame..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You can get Ultegra Di2 for €2,200;)

They have a 2011 Medium (non Di2) at €1,900 in stock also

Ok....why not scrimp and save and get buke of the year....cannondale synapse carbon 4or 5

2400e does not matter if its 105 or ultegra...fookin amazing frame..

will try to get one of these meself at summer end..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

disco1 wrote: »
    Ok....why not scrimp and save and get buke of the year....cannondale synapse carbon 4or 5

you beat me to posting that. The synapse is getting amazing reviews from reputable sites and when you read those reviews they don't sound like B.S. marketing stuff.

The split bridge post at the bb is very funky...in time you could add better wheels and group..

saw a couple in the ww200 in the flesh .pictures dont do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Just an add on to all the above, if you're dealing with a LBS you will def get a discount, could be anywhere between 5-7% that 150e ish off a 2k bike.

not yet wrote: »
    Just an add on to all the above, if you're dealing with a LBS you will def get a discount, could be anywhere between 5-7% that 150e ish off a 2k bike.

Or a €2150 bike in budget... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

if you can go online buy this get a set of zondas from swimcyclerun €320 and a saddle and bars still around the 2k mark but some bike
    http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-foil-15-di2-aero-road-frameset-2012-with-ultegra-6800-11-speed-di2-groupset-p246029

I decided to go for the Giant Defy Composite 1 and processing the BTW scheme.

Thing is that the process will take 3-4 weeks before I order bike (holidays and all that).

Should I wait now for the 2015 version ?

When normally do Giant release their 2015 road bikes. (Had heard mid August)

I know it wont be much different but waiting a week or 2 extra isn't a big deal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You budget is quite high. If I buy online I am going to hold out for the PlanetX Ultegra when it goes back on sale for £999, ideally buying it here having tried in Athlone, but prepared to buy online if they won't give me a good deal. Seems to be far & away the best value for that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Cube GTC Race Agree SL - €2099.

just posted the link for chain reaction but it is the same price in most LBS

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-agree-gtc-sl-road-bike-2014/rp-prod114090

Groupset:
    • Chainset:Shimano Ultegra FC-6800, Hollowtech II, 50x34T, 170mm (50/53cm), 172,5mm (56/58/60cm), 175mm (62/64cm)
    • Bottom Bracket: PressFit SM-BB71-41
    • Brake/Shift Levers: Shimano Ultegra ST-6800
    • Front Derailleur:Shimano Ultegra FD-6800BL, Clamp 34.9mm
    • Rear Derailleur:Shimano Ultegra RD-6800SS, 2x11-Speed
    Components:
    • Front Brake:Shimano Ultegra BR-6800
    • Rear Brake:Shimano Ultegra BR-6800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

You budget is quite high. If I buy online I am going to hold out for the PlanetX Ultegra when it goes back on sale for £999, ideally buying it here having tried in Athlone, but prepared to buy online if they won't give me a good deal. Seems to be far & away the best value for that price range.

I heard the frame isn't great on these. That they "don't last"
    Any truth in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

disco1 wrote: »

Yeah, drooling over these at the moment.
    Anyone have one or ridden one on here?

Im sort of limited in where I can do the scheme plus I have a voucher for the shop so Im sticking with the Defy.

My post was to ask when roughly giant release their 2015 bikes. Id wait a few weeks if I could get the 2015 version for the same money...

Or even if the 2014 was discounted....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

I've got the rt58 and can't fault it. Got my first ever race win on it Monday night gone...had a few problems dealing with planetx but they more then made up for any inconvenience. Savage machine and I'd have it over any of the beige trousers Giant range any day.

Went with the 2014 Giant Defy Composite 1.
    Was going to wait for the 2015 one but it was announced that all 2015 Defy Carbons would be disc brakes I decided against it.

Advertisement