Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I stuck in my phone contract?

Options
  • 13-06-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

This question has probably been answered several times before but my situation may be slightly different. I apologise if it isn't.

I'm 12 months into a 24 hour mobile phone contract with Meteor. My circumstances have changed substantially in the last couple of months and I am completely unable to maintain the payments of €51 per month to keep the contract going.

Long story short I either have to find a legitimate way out of the contract or I just stop paying it and end up with debt problems.

So is there a way I can dodge this without ending up with lots of debt? Or am I stuck?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

50 euros a month was madness to start with why didnt you go with bill pay. A friend of mine got badly burnt on bill pay mobile b/b so that put me off of bill pay for life its a licence to rob you charge what they like & you cant do a thing about it. Lesson learned pay up & never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Get some advice from MABS if your circumstances have changed and you're unable to keep paying it (www.mabs.ie). Hopefully they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Did the contract include a phone? Is that why it's high?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JCmanu

homingbird wrote: »
    50 euros a month was madness to start with why didnt you go with bill pay. A friend of mine got badly burnt on bill pay mobile b/b so that put me off of bill pay for life its a licence to rob you charge what they like & you cant do a thing about it. Lesson learned pay up & never go back.

Pay up and learn is easy to say until you're on social welfare with more than a few other bills.
    DM addict wrote: »
    Get some advice from MABS if your circumstances have changed and you're unable to keep paying it . Hopefully they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Did the contract include a phone? Is that why it's high?

Yes it included a phone. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

JCmanu wrote: »
    This question has probably been answered several times before but my situation may be slightly different. I apologise if it isn't.

I'm 12 months into a 24 hour mobile phone contract with Meteor. My circumstances have changed substantially in the last couple of months and I am completely unable to maintain the payments of €51 per month to keep the contract going.

Long story short I either have to find a legitimate way out of the contract or I just stop paying it and end up with debt problems.

So is there a way I can dodge this without ending up with lots of debt? Or am I stuck?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Don't quote me on this, but you may be able to change to a different plan with less minutes, texts, and data for a cheaper price. This maybe good option if there are no alternatives. Contact Meteor and ask if there are any cheaper plans you could transfer to without affecting your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JCmanu

Don't quote me on this, but you may be able to change to a different plan with less minutes, texts, and data for a cheaper price. This maybe good option if there are no alternatives. Contact Meteor and ask if there are any cheaper plans you could transfer to without affecting your contract.

OK I'll give meteor a ring on Monday and see if they'll lower my plan. Although I was reading a different topic about someone who was trying to do that and Meteor wouldn't let them. It's worth a try though, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement