Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing relative who went off to war

Options
  • 13-06-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My boyfriend's mother had an uncle that, according to her mother, went off to the war, and was never heard from again. I'm trying to trace him - I've found his census record from 1911 but that's about it. From that, he was born in 1902 or 1903 in Cork, he grew up in Passage West and his father worked in a shipyard near there. He would have been only 15 or 16 when WW1 ended, and around 37 when WW2, does that make him too old to have signed up for WW2? I've signed up to ancestry.co.uk, haven't really found anything concrete.
    Does anyone have any information or sites on Irish men who signed up for the British Army? If he had joined the army, where would he have joined it? Could he have joined up between the world wars? Would he have joined up in Cork? Any help gratefully appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement