Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military spending if Ireland joined NATO

Options
  • 13-06-2014 7:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just something I was thinking about lately. Here's the scenario: Ireland joins NATO in the next 5-10 years, the money comes from somewhere to increase military spending to 2% of GDP. Money for reasonable, large capital purchases can be made available with good justification (The how's and why's are not important, it's a scenario).

First: How would you envisage Ireland's position in NATO?

Second: Where would the money be spent to fulfill that position?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Most NATO countries don't spend the 2% anyway.
    Realistically 1% - 1.5%

So Ireland at 0.56% currently, would probably have a bigger budget.
    It looks like other small NATO countries have a small number of jets & an frigate or two.
    As well as a few more bodies serving.... But nothing major

In the hypothetical you paint,I doubt it would break the bank nor radically change the country much.

I figure our role would be maritime patrol of the corridor between Iceland & Ireland

Advertisement