Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice

Options
  • 13-06-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

So a few months back I did a Behind the Scenes shoot for a few college students (paid work) for a film they were doing for their final project. It also involved doing a poster shot from them.

I have just received a message from the person who edited my image saying that I was not allowed to use it in my portfolio!

Am I allowed to use it under my name as it is my image even tho he edited it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

What is said in your contract?

Who is this person who edited the image and what is their relationship to whomever signed the contract? (why are they calling the shots)

Are they saying that you can't use their edited version of your image (entirely understandable) or, you can't use the raw image which you took.

You will retain copyright to these image(s) as you took them unless otherwise assigned by your contract so i'm guessing that you will still have ownership rights to the image.

You may have usage rights in respect of non commercial use of the image, though asserting those rights may cause an unholy row and end you up needing the services of a solicitor (whether you are within your rights or not).

That said, if a contract isn't in place then you may be best to chalk it up to experience, move on, hire a model for a few hours, sign a model release specifying what you will use the shots for, and get some images which you can use without the stress of this particular situation.

Bummer yes, but practical all the same. Life can be too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 S_P_Photo

Hi AnCatDubh,

I have got it sorted but thank you for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

S_P_Photo wrote: »
    Hi AnCatDubh,

I have got it sorted but thank you for the advice

So now tell us how you got it sorted so as we may learn from your experience please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 S_P_Photo

I just talked to the guy and told him I could credit him as the post editor of the image (the reason I didn't before is because I didn't know who had edited the image)

Advertisement