Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal to sell shore caught fish?

Options
  • 13-06-2014 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Got into a massive argument today in a local foreign supermarket, the shop was selling fish, labelled rod caught flounder and pollack...

now i actually taught it was illegal to sell rod caught fish but the shop owner was adamant...

so adamant that i believe he was right and i was wrong i think!

i have researched and i couldn't find anything about it, now obviously the typical species like bass, salmon and sea trout we know you cant sell but what species like flounder, pollack and mullet...

this shop had these three filleted and froze down...

can someone enlighten my brain as you can see by the time, these things effect me and i don't sleep... Lol !

and by the way i did see an article from the uk that stated, it is legal to sell shore caught fish, that are not otherwise under protection...

interesting? For me it is because it is something that needs to changed if true..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Got into a massive argument today in a local foreign supermarket, the shop was selling fish, labelled rod caught flounder and pollack...

now i actually taught it was illegal to sell rod caught fish but the shop owner was adamant...

so adamant that i believe he was right and i was wrong i think!

i have researched and i couldn't find anything about it, now obviously the typical species like bass, salmon and sea trout we know you cant sell but what species like flounder, pollack and mullet...

this shop had these three filleted and froze down...

can someone enlighten my brain as you can see by the time, these things effect me and i don't sleep... Lol !

and by the way i did see an article from the uk that stated, it is legal to sell shore caught fish, that are not otherwise under protection...

interesting? For me it is because it is something that needs to changed if true..

I'm not sure but I'd take a guess that it is legal. I don't see the problem with it. We should be encouraged to take advantage of the fact that we're surrounded by sea. Shore fishing is surely more sustainable than letting in big trawlers from other countries to sweep the sea beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

While I don't necessarily agree with selling fish, there are much bigger issues facing the sea fishing industry than rod caught fish, namely the amount other EU countries are taking out of our waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

As far as I know it is legal once you abide by any specific regulations on species, closed season etc. So you would need to comply with the bass, coarse fish bye laws etc.

But lets say its rod caught (shore caught) Pollock: there is no legal issue as far as I am aware. I looked into it a while back and eventually came to the conclusion that selling the fish and the income that generates is essentially an issue for Revenue but does not require a fisheries specific licence. Revenue and BIM led me to that conclusion.

I don't think it is something you will be able to change easily really. Fish like mackerel and Pollock are not protected and people have the legal right to access the shore and catch them. Selling them on then just raises revenue issues but not licence ones.

I would like to see a bag limit on all species myself but I think that would be really difficult to achieve and enforce. You would have the guys who run the Mackerel economy down on Brandon pier dead against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

Ask him for a reciept for the fish he has bought and ask if the "angler" is registered as a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

.red. wrote: »
    Ask him for a reciept for the fish he has bought and ask if the "angler" is registered as a company.
    Surely thats revenues job not the job of some customer coming off the street.

• Advertisement

h2005 wrote: »
    Surely thats revenues job not the job of some customer coming off the street.
    I agree but its a point that can be put to the shop owner about the legality of the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

.red. wrote: »
    I agree but its a point that can be put to the shop owner about the legality of the fish.
    Fair enough but having to show the dockets for purchasing stock to customers is pretty unheard of in any business.

Fair enough but having to show the dockets for purchasing stock to customers is pretty unheard of in any business.

All fresh meat is traceable. Pre pa ked meat has it on the packaging and you can ask to see where meat on a counter came from. Why not chance your arm and ask to see who supplied the fish? At worst he'll tell you to F off but it will put the wind up him and probably the seller too if he finds out. If someone is asking questions like that they are probably the kind of person that would ring the revenue.

All fresh meat is traceable. Pre pa ked meat has it on the packaging and you can ask to see where meat on a counter came from. Why not chance your arm and ask to see who supplied the fish? At worst he'll tell you to F off but it will put the wind up him and probably the seller too if he finds out. If someone is asking questions like that they are probably the kind of person that would ring the revenue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Give the Sea Fisheries Protection Authority office a ring and ask them - there's an office in Dingle. Might be legal, but there could be difficulties with food safety - i.e. is the guy selling the fish registered as a food business, are the fish transported and stored properly (ice, temp control, etc). SFPA also regulate that aspect for the Food Safety Authority...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

In small towns the locals will sell to shops for few quid and with no problems.
    Can't see anywhere in dublin selling fish and saying rod caught on them.
    I've sold mackerel to chippers and locals don't care. Better than that aldi crap

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Great discussion lads it has really got me thinking, actually out in dingle there is a few chippers advertising line caught fish...

to be honest i have noting against lads trying to make a few pound within the law, its not like the government of Ireland or the banks are helping us out...

now obviously if i seen line caught bass then that would be a different story...

i have a small problem with the mullet tho as they could be wiped out fairly easy..

look people are struggling out there and everyone trying to provide for families and feed kids etc... So if a lad just trying then fair play..

i wont be asking the shop owner anything, everyone to there own, but its just something i was not aware of...

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Great discussion lads it has really got me thinking, actually out in dingle there is a few chippers advertising line caught ...

A lot of macks for sale in tescos are line caught. There was a guy in easy cork last year supposedly had a contract with them. A thousand feathers in a row pulled in by a winch. Cant imagine it working for any other fish tho, maybe pollack but doubt youd get enough to make it viable and theres not much of a market for them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 patn

Whether the person selling the fish trades as a sole trader or through a company is not relevant to the question as to whether or not it is legal. People can trade as a sole trader or form a company at their own discretion. Also I imagine revenue would only be interested as to whether or not that person was registered for and was paying tax. I would think its mostly something for the food safety authority to clamp down on if infact it is illegal. if it is i dont see why it should be. Provided food hygene is ok - surely it has to be good for fish stocks to have line caught fish for sale. I had always assumed that some salmon anglers sell their catch to restaurants given the price of wild salmon but maybe I am wrong on that. I saw a side of wild salmon on sale in west cork earlier this year for about seventy euros which I could not believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

patn wrote: »
    Whether the person selling the fish trades as a sole trader or through a company is not relevant to the question as to whether or not it is legal. People can trade as a sole trader or form a company at their own discretion. Also I imagine revenue would only be interested as to whether or not that person was registered for and was paying tax. I would think its mostly something for the food safety authority to clamp down on if infact it is illegal. if it is i dont see why it should be. Provided food hygene is ok - surely it has to be good for fish stocks to have line caught fish for sale. I had always assumed that some salmon anglers sell their catch to restaurants given the price of wild salmon but maybe I am wrong on that. I saw a side of wild salmon on sale in west cork earlier this year for about seventy euros which I could not believe.

Its illegal to sell wild salmon which are caught by rod and line..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

patn wrote: »
    Whether the person selling the fish trades as a sole trader

SOLE TRADER :D

Advertisement